Pontiac 400 in place of 350 chevy

Started by 348tripower, October 02, 2005, 06:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

348tripower

Can someone tell me if I can swap the Pontiac in where the Chevy was without a lot of BS? My son in law got this hopped up 400 out of a TA and wants to put it in the truck project.  
Thanks,
Don
Don Colliau

48ford

Don,
The chevy and pontiac use a different transmission bolt pattern,the only trany tranny that will bolt to both is the 200R4.but that should be your only problem.
Good luck
Russ

tomslik

Quote from: "48ford"Don,
The chevy and pontiac use a different transmission bolt pattern,the only trany tranny that will bolt to both is the 200R4.but that should be your only problem.
Good luck
Russ

there were some bi-sexual 350 turbos,too.
everything from the motor mounts to brackets is different...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

enjenjo

radiator outlets are the same, motor mounts are in the same area, but won't just bolt up.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

348tripower

Quote from: "enjenjo"radiator outlets are the same, motor mounts are in the same area, but won't just bolt up.

Frank,
 Can you shed a bit more light on the motor mounts?  I have the Pontiac mounts on the engine. Will they mate to the chevy mount on the frame? If not, what to do here?
Thanks,
Don
Don Colliau

enjenjo

no they won't bolt to the chevy frame mount. They are generally in the same area, and at the same angle, but not configured the same. So they won't fit exactly, but it usually doesn't take much work to modify them to fit. I don't know what your frame is, or how the mounts are constructed, or I could tell you more.

348tripower

Quote from: "enjenjo"no they won't bolt to the chevy frame mount. They are generally in the same area, and at the same angle, but not configured the same. So they won't fit exactly, but it usually doesn't take much work to modify them to fit. I don't know what your frame is, or how the mounts are constructed, or I could tell you more.

Frank,
   I think it is a  Camaro sub.  It has a 54 inch track width.
Don
Don Colliau

tomslik

Quote from: "348tripower"
Quote from: "enjenjo"no they won't bolt to the chevy frame mount. They are generally in the same area, and at the same angle, but not configured the same. So they won't fit exactly, but it usually doesn't take much work to modify them to fit. I don't know what your frame is, or how the mounts are constructed, or I could tell you more.

Frank,
Don

got a pic?
sounds like from the width it's a s-10(unless it's been narrowed)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

enjenjo

If it's a rear steer Camaro, you can get frame mounts from a early 70's Ventura, and it will bolt in. You may have to drill holes. You could possibly use the mounts from the 70 Pontiac chassis if it's a Tempest or LeMans.

348tripower

Quote from: "tomslik"
Quote from: "348tripower"

Frank,
Don

got a pic?
sounds like from the width it's a s-10(unless it's been narrowed)

I got to thinkin about that measurement and I don't know where the dumb end of the tape was being held! I'll recheck that tonight. He could of been holdin it at the inside of the tire.
Don
Don Colliau