Real Hot Rod Help????

Started by hotrodsnguns, September 27, 2005, 08:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrodsnguns

I have always considered a hot rod a small car with a big engine.  My first taste was a 396 bbc in a 58 impala  from there I progressed to bbc in vega, chevy 11, (they are not a duce) 425 cadi in a vw and my current rides 383 sbc in a 43 willys pu and a 496 bbc in a 57 Chevy. now I want to build my first real hamb hot rod.

In my shop there is a 260watt mig with bottle, a tig, a buzz box, oxy welder and a plasma cutter.  80 gallon compressor, 50 gallon compressor and a funky little paint booth that you all helped me build. This is just the big stuff many more tools that matter.  Any Kinght is welcome any time.  Now I want to build my first:  "HOT ROD"  

After all that my real question is?   What makes the most since for a novice builder to cut his teeth on?  It will not be the first, I hope, nor the best, just want to start and not get in over my head.  Want no top, roaster or modified.  Have a 413, several sbc, 63 Chrysler rear, two 10 bolt Chevy, two 4sp a couple of 3sp, 3.8 Buick v6.

Where do I start easy project, so I can get the experience and later build what I want later?

parklane

IMHO, probably a simple car to start on would be a model "A", either a coupe or coach. They are simple to chop if desired, there is a ton of repop stuff available, and every supplier of 'street rod' stuff has all kinds of goodies you can blow your budget on.  The downfall if any is that the engine compartment and the passenger compartment are both a little tight compared to the 40's vehicles.

John
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

EMSjunkie

Whatever you decide to build, just make sure its
not a Street Beast  :x

if you want to build a fiberglass body, there are several
compaines that make good bodies, Street Beast, however, is NOT one of them  :evil:

just speaking from experience.

sorry, just don't want another unsuspecting soul to get burnt.

I'll step off the soapbox now.

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

phat46

I have always thought that one of the "kits" from speedway would be a really good way to build a hot rod. they aren't as much of a kit as most kit cars. they are using ordinary hot rod parts that you would have to buy anyway and what looks like pretty good 'glass bodies. unless of course you want to build a real steel car in which case i would suggest a '46 chevy coupe, or a '40 ford "trad' style truck .( cuz that's all i have any real knowledge of...)   :lol:

GPster

I would suggest you start at the finish and work backwards. Unless you can drive it on the road it is somewhat short of my definition of a Hot Rod. In your state in particular, unless you start with a title your vehicle might be considered new and be subject to the laws as such. Pick something you like so it ends up being your car. The best part is seeing the innovation it takes to get stuff to work together. Look around and see what catches your eye. GPster