Anyone familiar with mid-sixties Chevy trucks?

Started by buffalo bob, September 16, 2005, 08:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buffalo bob

Looking at a '65 Chevy Suburban w/4WD.  A friend recently swapped a disc brake front end, that is spindles, A-arms brakes and all from a old style '80s pick up to his '67 half ton.  I'm wondering if this is a bolt on with the '65 frame also?  Have my doubts as the '66 trucks & '67 sure don't look the same.  Anyone know for sure?  Like to get disc brakes at least on the Sub.  Thanks

GPster

I'm sure Enjenjo knows but unfortunately hhe's at Kzoo this weekend. Things may not be that far from working unless the 4 wheel drive screws it up. on the 2 wheel drives I think the crossmember will swap or you can get by with just swapping the spindles but you need to do some playing around with tie rod ends. GPster

Fat Cat

There was a major redesign between 1966 and 1967. I am sure that Enjenjo will have more detail on what you can do.

entodad

Quote from: "buffalo bob"Looking at a '65 Chevy Suburban w/4WD.  A friend recently swapped a disc brake front end, that is spindles, A-arms brakes and all from a old style '80s pick up to his '67 half ton.  I'm wondering if this is a bolt on with the '65 frame also?  Have my doubts as the '66 trucks & '67 sure don't look the same.  Anyone know for sure?  Like to get disc brakes at least on the Sub.  Thanks

I've seen it done with a '67 where a later pickup cross member along with all the a frames, brakes etc etc were swapped from a late 70's truck.  Perhaps tha cross member swap will work for the 65 as well, but hmmm I just don't know.
My son and I are just taking a 75 truck frame and swapping it under a 66 truck body...Lots of refitting to be done yet....
Doug
WaChiss......(famous last hillbilly word)

buffalo bob

That was the other route I was thinking about.  I sure like the way the '88 & up GMs ride (brakes suck) but I can't imagine those chassis being remotely close to a drop on.  Yea, I know anything can be made to fit, but I consider myself a hot rodder not a creator like those guys that come up with these works of art I see at the Nats.

OldSub

The crossmember swap on the two-wheel-drive trucks is pretty common.  From 1963 through 1987 there is not much difference in the front suspensions and adapting the later ones to earlier trucks isn't a real big challenge.

However, since the four-wheel-drive front axle on these trucks is leaf spring sprung live axle and the two-while-drive is a coil sprung ifs it's not at all similar.

I would expect you can either swap a later front axle (up to before the independent four-wheel-drive era) under the earlier truck, or adapt disks from a 70's or 80's truck onto your existing axle, but I don't know any details about either approach.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

enjenjo

You can install a two wheel drive front end on a 4x4 frame. The only problem is, there are no holes to use to reference the position of the crossmember. On a 2x4 frame, a couple of the holes line up to position the new crossmember. If you measure carefully, you should be able to do it sucessfully. You may need a spacer or shim here and there to make the crossmember fit the frame tight.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

47convert

Never swapped crossmembers but I did install all of the front end components, upper and lower xontrol arms, brakes etc from a 79 Chevy 1/2 ton P/U on my 66 a few years ago. Everything bolted in like it was made for the 66 except I had to drill one new hole in the frame for one of the idler arm bolts because the 66 was L shaped, I think and the 79 was at an angle. I used Bell Tech dropped spindles for a nice drop and cut one coil. Everything worked perfect. The problem now was that I had 6 bolt wheels on the back and 5 on the front. Made myself a set of lowering blocks and sawpped in a rearend from a 71 Chevy pickup. Since my brakes were brand new just before the swap, I hung my backing plates from a wire, discarded the 71 brakes and bolted the 66 brakes to the newer housing using the 71 brake drums. Didn't even need to bleed the brakes! This is a great swap. You upgrade to 12" power disc brakes, lower the truck, and get 5 bolt wheels at the same time for very little money.

buffalo bob

A buddy did the same with a '67 and was quick easy and a great improvement in driving.  Wasn't sure how far back they would swap.