Big Olds Has Never Ran Better Then Right Now!

Started by HotRodLadyCrusr, September 12, 2005, 08:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HotRodLadyCrusr

Big Olds is finally home in my garage where he belongs, all tucked in for the nite.  It's been a long couple of weeks around here not knowing exactly what was wrong with him, how much it was going to cost to get fix....kinda not even knowing if he'd been repaired in time for Ego-Rama.  Well he's never ran better!  Starts right up, no rough idle, no shimming and shaking upon startup and he's not running hot   He's purring like a kitten......an awful BIG kitten I might add.  

My buddy Jim didn't let me down.  Besides needing new head gaskets, Big Olds "C" heads were warped.  One head needed to be shaved .018 (I think thats the right way to say "thousandths" ), the other head .020.  He also had to redo #8 exhaust valve seat and he said my timing was way off.  He had to retard the timing from 16* to 9.5* which lowered my exhaust temp from over 500 degrees to 405.  Still alittle high he said but that was all he could do.

He said the inside of the engine looked great, no sludge or buildup.  He changed the oil, oil filter and coolant for me.  He went over every nut and bolt and tightened up quite a bit he said.  All this, parts and labor for $598.  I thought that was a GREAT deal.  I was kinda thinking in the back of my head the last few weeks that if I needed new heads, etc, I'd be looking at a $1,500 repair bill at least.  $600 dollars is alot of money BUT it could have been MUCH more.  I feel ALOT more confident now in not only the journey out to California and back but the hard paces I'll be putting Big Olds thru while out there.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share my overwhelming JOY with you guys.  Quite a few have emailed and PM asking so I thought I would just post the reply for eveyone.  I've kinda been outta sorts the last few weeks worrying about this, but my heads back on straight now, I've nothing more to worry about except for the temps in Yellowstone and the Black Hills.....and for that I can just dress warmer!

EGO-RAMA or BUST!

Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

phat46

That's good news, and a very fair price!!! Does he give eveyone a price like that :D  Good luck on the trip!

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

good news..... that repair bill is cheap!  Are you tradin out some cookies for the repair?  :wink:

cuttin .018 to .020 off the heads , that is a chunk to cut for a clean up IMHO......... yet the heads  must have needed it.

:arrow:   8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

HotRodLadyCrusr

I think I got the family discount :lol:   But seriously, he has ALWAYS been very fair with his prices.  Thats one of the reason, me, my folks, my sister, we all take our stuff there....and his shop is over an hour from my house!

HotRodLadyCrusr

Quote from: "Crosley"

cuttin .018 to .020 off the heads , that is a chunk to cut for a clean up IMHO......... yet the heads  must have needed it.

:arrow:   8)

Tony, does this much off the heads mean that I need to be careful or what.  Please try to explain in simple terms.  Can I thrash on him while on Ego-Rama?

Crosley.In.AZ

A usual clean up on a warped head will run .008 to .012...... yet each head is different.

he may have cut more due to some rust pits in areas he was worried about proper sealing on the head gaskets

At .020 there are no problems to worry about.  Let er rip
Tony

HotRodLadyCrusr

I'm hoping I typed it right, 18 and 20 thousandths, right?

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"I'm hoping I typed it right, 18 and 20 thousandths, right?

that would be correct
Tony

Charlie Chops 1940

Glad to hear that everything worked out to the less work and parts needed scenario. Miles wear things out, but those are good strong engines. Shounds like it's good to go for a few more years.

See ya Saturday, sweetie.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

kb426

Sounds good to me. Cutting the heads raises the compression ratio some. By removing some of the timing, you should have eliminated a reason for detonation. I think you are in good shape for the trip. I'm, a roadster guy and have been exposed to a little weather in my world. You might consider taking a set of coveralls, insulated gloves, and as goofy as it sounds, a full face helmet with you. You will likely see some temps in the thirty's in the mornings passing through the mountains. Too much clothing is a good thing. You  can always take more than you need but it's a real pain to not have something and be miserable for hours. Good luck and enjoy the trek. This may not be a "once in a life time" deal, but I'd sure treat it like it is. We want lots of pics too.
TEAM SMART

HotRodLadyCrusr

Quote from: "kb426". You might consider taking a set of coveralls, insulated gloves, and as goofy as it sounds, a full face helmet with you. .

GRAET minds think alike, Got the list going already.  I've got Carharts overalls, down parka, wool gloves, snowmobile boots, and a helmet.  and of course my shorts and Birkenstocks for once I get to CAL I FORN I A. :wink:

Crosley.In.AZ

I wonder what the differences in head gasket thickness from the old / bad head gasket to the new installed gasket was?  I seem to remember this 455 was built many moons ago or was it a low mileage original motor?

The new composite gaskets are a few thousands thicker than the gaskets of the day for the 455  and usually offset some of the head shaving so the compression change is minimal

Quote from: "kb426"Sounds good to me. Cutting the heads raises the compression ratio some. By removing some of the timing, you should have eliminated a reason for detonation. I think you are in good shape for the trip. I'm, a roadster guy and have been exposed to a little weather in my world. You might consider taking a set of coveralls, insulated gloves, and as goofy as it sounds, a full face helmet with you. You will likely see some temps in the thirty's in the mornings passing through the mountains. Too much clothing is a good thing. You  can always take more than you need but it's a real pain to not have something and be miserable for hours. Good luck and enjoy the trek. This may not be a "once in a life time" deal, but I'd sure treat it like it is. We want lots of pics too.
Tony

sirstude

Denise,

Ditto, on the warm clothes, it was 39 yesterday when I came to work, and it is 48 right now.  It warms up in the day around here for the next couple of months, but the nights and early mornings are cold until next summer.

Have you decided what enterance you are using to get into Yellowstone yet?

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

BFS57

HELLO;
Glad to hear that Ego Rama is in your sights. Now, Just where can I find a mechanic like yours here in Florida, I think the price he charged for the work done was really good!
Now, go and put your best into the Ego Rama. I' counting on you.

Bruce