New projects

Started by enjenjo, September 11, 2005, 12:57:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Anyone starting a new project this fall? Or, continuing on old ones?

Ken's Caddy has been on the road for a couple thousand miles, I have it back for some adjustments, but it won't take long. I am going to install a TPI motor in my old Fleetline, the one I had at the Nats, and will build a new engine for my Buick Sportwagon. Maybe a T200 for it too. I decided to do another 300 ci engine for the Buick, and am toying with the idea of using a TBI on it, from a 305 Chevy. Doing research on cams and so forth right now. I also have an antique sprint car, B powered, that I am going to set up for a fellow here, so he can run it at cars shows, and rallys. so I may be looking for parts for that too.

So what do YOU have going?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

Well my project isn't a  car but it's car related. I'm going to extend my 16' car trailer to 24' and add a 40" semi sleeper to it. I'll be retiring this winter and want to make some trips for cars and parts without the expense of so many motel bills plus this way I can cook my own meals also. I know that maybe it sounds  a little on the cheap side but hey when your on a fixed income every dollar counts.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Leon

I'm finally finishing up a project, the woody teardrop trailer is almost done.  Just got the rear hatch together and put on the trailer, bed is in, and almost everything is done except for a couple cabinet doors and mounting the roof vent. Took it to the local cruise night behind our 54 Chevy and it took one of the "Best 3" trophies! Most people wanted to know where I bought it and I had to explain that I built it, a few asked it you could actually sleep in it (LOL) and I even had a couple ask when I could build them one (even funnier). I told them not before next spring! Got a few more car shows to go to before a classic trailer campout  the end of October. Got to work a couple bugs out before I spend a weekend in it.

kb426

I don't have the answer yet, but I'm in the process of looking for the next one. I'll probably sell the 53 pickup first so I can have some space and more funds to work with. I just returned from the Goodguys in Colorado. There's pluses and minuses to most styles. I need to figure out what I'm doing with traveling and performance.
TEAM SMART

bucketmouth

well yeah I had a project all figured out until I paid a visit to the U.S.
Now I still have a project but I'm building it completely different to what I intended. Come home with lots of new ideas.
It's still gonna be a model A hiboy. Newstalgia rod if there's such a thing.  :roll:
I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.

GPster

Well there's 5,000 gallons of water in the pond with plants and fish in it. There is a list of things that could be done to it but it's running and operating. I took the carb for my truck project to the shop the other day and the said they thought their carb cleaner would take the residue of the water-based cleaner of of it. Their carb rebuilding guy is semi-retired and has be doing it long enough to be able to re-assemble a box of parts to a working carb if it cleans up OK. Then I can get the truck able to move under it's own power again so that it can change places with the Jeepster. That will get the Jeepster back in the garage again. The floods of 2004 and 2005 made it advisible for me to get a 25,000 PSI pressure washer and the pond project made it possibel for me to get running water to the back of my property and close to the gravel pad behind my garage so I can clean the Jeepster before I bring it back in (at one point during the floods it was sitting in 3 feet of water). At some point during the switching of the vehicle I'll be able to pressure clean my garage that was blessed with 30" of Ohio river at one point. This subject is a refreshing topic for me. It comes at a time to take me out of the "throw everthing away" depression to the "there'll be time to fix this" contentment. GPster

Bib_Overalls

Well, I have several irons in the fire.  

Sometime this winter I want to detail out my roadster.  It has been on the road for three years now and there is some road rash that needs attention.  And there are some areas that I would like to revisit.  Like the engine wiring.  The Lion's Club here sponsors an indoor show every March and I have not entered in the past because the roadster was "not ready."  

I also plan on building a small workroom inside my shop building.  A place that I can economically heat and cool while I tinker.  

As a result of my trading and EBay buying and selling I have accumulated enough parts to start building something.  I don't have a body yet so what it will be is TBD.   So far, this is what I have; an Olds 215 mated to a small bell housing 700R-4, lakes style headers,  38 banjo rear and a full set of wide five wheels and drums, two sets of 37-40 spindles, 38 and 48 front axles, split  Model A and 48 bones, Model A and various V8 front and rear springs, 40 Ford front hubs and drums converted to 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern, F1 steering box, early 9" Ford rear axle housing with axles and brakes,  Model A rear crossmember, and a pair of scab grade original 32 Ford frame rails.  I'm thinking lakes modified on a fabricated chassis.  But I keep seeing a 26/26 Model T two door on the 32 rails.  Any one have any ideas? Anyone have a lead on some good, affordable tin?
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

GPster

Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"Any one have any ideas?
Because I don't move around to well and I need to sit upright a "T" bucket seems to be out of my designs, but I like their simplicity. A "T" roadster with 2 opening doors looks closer to my needs. A "T" body looks to minimal in height without running boards and splash aprons but the extra height of Duece rails showing would bring some of the body height back. The side of the rails and the width of the bottom of the body might be best as to give it the look of a belly pan that also has a fuction as the chassis. Also to me one of the track roadster feature that appealed to be but is forgotten by these psuedo examples is the mechanics in the cockpit. I'd like to see one where the floor is the bottom of the frame rails and the transmission and the driveshaft (open or closed) are uncovered. For me that would also create seating height and still leave me "IN" the body. GPster

Bib_Overalls

I like the open mechanicals look too.  I'm thinking no dash.  Just a tightly fit tube frame to hold the brake pedal and master cylinder and steering column.  And maybe a through the cowel steering box.  Gauges would be in some flat stock centered over the steering wheel.  Exposed wiring.  Battery in a box mounted above the passenger's feet.  

A stock 27 T roadster is just to tight for me.  I fit in a Zipper and Old Dog Street Rods is selling a body that is supposed to be stretched a bit.  I'd like to try it on for size.  Old Dog also has a turtle deck that supposedly fits.  I have never seen a lakes modified on 32 rails.  Seems quite a shame to cut away part of those nicely sculptured sides to get the bobbed look.  But full length Ts, both open and closed, look good on 32 rails.  I might bob them anyway.  They are really scabby and well, it would be different.

Just need to keep looking.  I'll find something.  And in the mean time I can get the Olds ready and tidy up some of the parts that I know I am going to use.  

Appreciate your input.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Crosley.In.AZ

new projects?  When it cools down a bit here during the day:

next weekend there will be 1500 sq ft of grass/sod delivered so I can finish the back yard near the house.  A few plants to install in some concrete pots. Landscape lights and more drip irrigation too

I need to find some 14 inch PVC pipe to run the irrigation through my fence for irrigating the back yard next year. I need the gate valve plate at the ditch too.  As I type my neighbor's irragation is over flowing into my yard..... mayb I dont need to install the pipe?

I've got to build a propane fire pit for Janice on the north side of the driveway. She wants some benchs and chairs built in the area too.  She saw some artsy crap with rocks &  boulders built into chairs with heavy wall tubes as supports

A seating area with built in BBQ on the patio.  A four post arbor thing to provide some shade between the shop and house.

Inside the shop I have cleared out my storage shelves near my work bench.  I will build an over head storage platform 10 x 15 to get all of my crap / parts up off the floor & outta my way.

We have been car shopping for a smaller daily driver  vehicle. Looking at the chevy HHR with 2.4 motor and a VW Jetta with diesel motor. The Jetta gets some great fuel mileage. The  16 - 17 mpg on the trucks for comuting 70+ miles a day is not cutting it any longer.   Need to sell my Silvverado truck and I imagine I will take a bath on it's resale value with gasoline at 3 bucks a gallon here

And when I get time I need to get my Crosley wagon assembled & driving again. Engine is still out , need some parts too.

Then I want to get my frame / chassis platform I had built 7 years ago into the shop and set up.... Hopefully assemble a chassis kit for the 62 Morris minor I bought months ago

I want to sell my huge Linde heli-arc machine and buy a physically smaller unit...

that is all I can remember now.

:shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

GPster

Quote from: "Crosley"new projects?  my neighbor's irragation is over flowing into my yard..... mayb I dont need to install the pipe  I will build an over head storage platform 10 x 15 to get all of my crap / parts up off the floor
And I thought I had a problem with flooding! What about the Falcon drag car? What about your changes at work? Do they keep you from thinking clearly about the future? GPster

Charlie Chops 1940

Well - I've run out of projects...NOT.

Since I got back from Bonneville I have done quite a bit of work on the '40 body in preparation to repaint after the season's over. Gonna go base/clear black as we speak. I've done some bartering to get the removable pieces shot in a paint booth after I finish prep (400 wet sand)them. So far the hood and side panel, 1 rear fender, the running boards and the trunk lid are ready to finish sand. Once I get all the pieces off I will tackle removal of the partly broken 700R4 for repair. While the trans is out I will prep and paint the firewall area.  Hopefully that'll be done before "winter" sets in.

Then, it's back on the track roadster pickup, which hasn't been touched in almost 2 months now. Then maybe, just a big maybe, I'll get a chance to start on the '32 chassis in the spring.  Probably wishful thinking.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

alchevy

Not new project...just the same unfinished car, my '40 Chevy. Here's what I have planned for it in the not so distant future, maybe:

Finish the a/c install; work on the custom center console (which is going to be an oil pan turned upside down - it's the perfect shape with plenty of room to mount a cup holder or two, place for the cell phone to go, & maybe some other things); I bought at Louisville this year one of those Secret Audio car stereos, so the faceplate might go in the console also; many folks around me still use CB radios when traveling in groups along with the two-way radios, so I need to mount the CB back in the car. I had taken it out when installing the a/c unit and just used a handheld CB for the trip to Louisville this year (which is kind of bulky to hold on to and drive at the same time).

The driveway is too full to start a new project with my '81 Chevy Pickup (the first vehicle I owned)(in 2006 it will be 25 years old eligible for an antique tag) and the 2000 Chevy Blazer (daily driver)(just sent in the last car payment on!) and the '40.

The '81 pickup needs some tlc, it's been neglected since I got the '40.
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

Ohio Blue Tip

Still have a lot of work to do on that 34 "driver" I bought, most of the winter I expect.  Then there is the 1933 Dodge 5 window project (20 year project) which is about 1/3 done.  Then I have enough parts for a 27 roadster, frame, suspension etc, no body yet.  Retirement coming soon, don't have time to work.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

MikeC

I have been building my 39 Chevy 2 door sedan for about 4 years now...  It is really getting close to finished.  I stopped at the painter on Saturday and he is going to do the final sand and hopefully get it in paint this week sometime!  This is my first rod and I have done it almost all myself.  With work and honey-doo's it has taken longer than I expected.  Most of my friends never thought I would complete it as they are more into writing a check for a car.  I finished welding up the exhaust this weekend and did some finish sanding on the fiberglass console I built.  It is now ready for the leather and the exhaust and mufflers are going out to be ceramic coated this week.
I will get some pictures posted as soon as the paint job is complete.  Then it is just re-assembly, wiring and interior.
MikeC