Camaro runs tooo cold

Started by rick 36dodge, March 14, 2004, 08:28:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick 36dodge

My son has a 68 Camaro with a 396 boried 30 over. It has a Edelbrock Pro-flo EFI, headers with free flow exaust, a long water pump, stock big block radiator and a 180 degree thermostat. The problem is at idle the engine will run at 180, but as soon as you increase rpm the engine goes to 160 or lower. It runs best at 180. We have tweeked the EFI and got it running good with the LED blinking red and green in all RPM ranges.
Any suggestions ? Thanks in advance, Rick Harris. :?:

rick 36dodge

Quote from: "rick 36dodge"
Quote from: "Crosley"Are you sure the thermo stat is functioning correctly? Some of the cheaper units tend to not function smoothly.

Do you have the bypass hose between the intake and the pump?

The balanced type of thermostat seem to work better for me

I am not sure what a balanced type of thermostat is ?
We removed the bypass hose between the intake and the pump thinking that was part of the problem.
We have a good (the best that Advance Auto sells) 180 thermostat.
Thank, Rick Harris.

Anonymous

I have a 1968 Camaro with a +.030 396 engine, too! I have an Edelbrock Performer manifold with a 700 double pump Holley, headers, Engle cam, and a 350 transmission. My radiator is a three core with a shroud. I also have a flex fan and a 180 degree thermostat.

My car runs at 180 to 185 most summer days, and can run colder in the fall. 175 to 185 is what I think of as normal for the car now.

It sounds to me like your son's car has a very good cooling system that does it's job right! Maybe putting in a 195 degree thermostat will get you where you want it to run? I was told that even 190 to 200 degrees would be ok for a big block Chevy with cast iron heads. Try the hotter thermostat and see where it runs then.

58Apache

There's a switch!  I am doing everything I can to keep my big block with air cool when it finally gets on the road. I know they are notorious for overheating, especially with A/C.

If I get on the road and have overheating problems I am going to see if I can duplicate this problem ;)

Any chance that's a high volume water pump? I always wondered if they might force water through a thermostat that's trying to stay closed?

Steve

HOTRODSRJ

It's the thermostat. It's not sealing under the pump pressure or has some reason for staying open ever so slightly.

Balanced thermostat info here......
http://performanceunlimited.com/illustrations/thermostats.html
STEVE "JACKSTANDS" JACK

rick 36dodge

Quote from: "HOTRODSRJ"It's the thermostat. It's not sealing under the pump pressure or has some reason for staying open ever so slightly.

Balanced thermostat info here......
http://performanceunlimited.com/illustrations/thermostats.html

Thanks for the info about the balanced thermostat. We do not have that in the Camaro now , but will get one. Thanks again Rick Harris
PS the Camaro does not have A/C.

rick 36dodge

Quote from: "Crosley"Is it possible  the the thermostat is upside down?

the pump would push the stat open
The thermostat is in right side up. I am off tomorrow and am going to drive it. Thanks for all the info, Rick Harris. :P