OBD II question

Started by jaybee, September 09, 2005, 12:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

Is it possible to clear codes on a Ford with OBD II computer without using a scan tool?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

tomslik

model and year?
need engine/trans info, too
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

jaybee

Quote from: "tomslik"model and year?

95 Windstar, 3.8L

tomslik

Quote from: "jaybee"
Quote from: "tomslik"model and year?

95 Windstar, 3.8L

Disconnect the negative lead from the battery for a minimum of 5 minutes (this will also result in the PCM Reset). Resetting Keep Alive Memory (KAM) will clear learned values the PCM has stored for adaptive systems such as Idle and Fuel. Once the vehicle is driven, the PCM will relearn new adaptive values. It will take a few miles and the vehicle may run rough until the values are relearned.

according to alldata...

jaybee

jaybee

I think that cleared it up, thanks very much.  I don't have a code reader, but I can still make sure everything is basically sound and intact, right?

This van recently developed a very 'gassy' smell both in the exhaust and under the hood, and lit the check engine light.  Plugs look fine, plug wires are in good shape, seems to run smoothly and so forth.  A clean PCV valve and replacing some very old vacuum hoses got rid of the gassy smell.  I've driven it twice since resetting the computer, at all speeds from neighborhood to highway.  No light.

Sometimes the basics are all you need.

tomslik

Quote from: "jaybee"I think that cleared it up, thanks very much.  I don't have a code reader, but I can still make sure everything is basically sound and intact, right?

This van recently developed a very 'gassy' smell both in the exhaust and under the hood, and lit the check engine light.  Plugs look fine, plug wires are in good shape, seems to run smoothly and so forth.  A clean PCV valve and replacing some very old vacuum hoses got rid of the gassy smell.  I've driven it twice since resetting the computer, at all speeds from neighborhood to highway.  No light.

Sometimes the basics are all you need.

sometimes you have to go thru at least 3 "drive cycles" so it's MAY come back on.
has that got the plastic intake?
if so, there's a few service bulletins on those....

not having it close by, it's hard to say exactly whats wrong with it.
if it happens again, see if you can get somebody to pull codes and let me know.