DIY Air Dryer

Started by 34ford, September 06, 2005, 11:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

34ford

Getting ready to put the primer on the coupe. I remember someone on one of the forums saying they use a 5 gallon pail with a coil of copper tubing in it with ice in it to cool the air down.  Anybody have any other suggestion. I've been running the small air sander cleaning up some of the metal and it's like taking a shower while using the tool.  

Also saw that Harbor Freight has an air dryer for $300. Has anyone used one of these??

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=40211

thanks,

Bob

MrMopar64

I thought about buying one of those before I painted my car but had some painters tell me that they thought the cold air hitting the car would cause condenstion (sp)..... and I didn't want to spend 300 bucks to find out
if they were right  :lol:
BTW..... none of them had ever worked in a shop with an air drier  They do high end paint but they just use filters and separators

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

Crosley.In.AZ

Seems like the powder coating folks use a refrigerated air dryer for absolute dry air
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

34ford

Tony,

Have a quick question for you. I need to get the bolts to hook up the converter to my 700r-4. I remember reading in one of your post about them being metric and a specific length. I looked in Summit and Jegs and all I see are ones for a 350/400, which I already have a new set of. Just wanted to know what I needed before I go to the dealership to get them.

thanks
bob

shine

i have a media blasting booth and wear a supplied air hood and suit. i have a plastic 55 gal drum with a coil in it. i fill it with cold well water and then put frozen milk jugs in it. it cools the air going to the hood. i now have the same line feeding my spray booth hood and gun setup. seems to be working fine. at least it's keeping my old * cool. :)

34ford

Quote from: "shine"i have a media blasting booth and wear a supplied air hood and suit. i have a plastic 55 gal drum with a coil in it. i fill it with cold well water and then put frozen milk jugs in it. it cools the air going to the hood. i now have the same line feeding my spray booth hood and gun setup. seems to be working fine. at least it's keeping my old * cool. :)

Shine,

Do you have any type of filter to take any of the water out. It is really humid here ,50-60%,.  If the water is in the air it has to get out somehow?
Does it just collect in the coil in the drum and you have to drain out the coil in the drum??

bob

Bruce Dorsi

Bob, I've had good results in removing moisture from compressed air by using a "toilet-paper-roll" fiter.  ...I think they are known as coalescing filters.

The filter elements resemble a roll of brown (unused!) toilet paper.  I believe they are sold under the "Motor Gard" name.  ....They are available through TP Tools (TIP), which is where I bought mine many years ago.

A bowl-type filter can precede the paper filter and will remove a lot of water.  ....The remaining mist is absorbed in the paper filter. ...The elements can be dried in sunlight or an oven and be used again.

Rather than plumbing it near the compressor, I installed quick-connect fittings on my filter, and move it to my sandblaster, glass-bead cabinet, or plasma cutters.  If needed, it can be installed near air tools or spray guns.  ....I believe the closer it is located to the point of use, the more effective it will be.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

34ford

Thanks Bruce will check it out.

Sent you something by snail mail.

bob

shine

i have a moisture trap and toliet paper filters. this line only runs 10 to 15 lbs . most of the moisture you see coming from a hose is being made at the nozzle.  warm air in a hose laying on cool concrete. keep you hoses off the ground as much as posible. the purpose for this cooling system is to feed cool air into the hood i wear while blasting or painting. i've had 0 problems with it.

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "34ford"Thanks Bruce will check it out.

Sent you something by snail mail.

bob

I got your letter in Saturday's mail, Bob.  ....Thanks very much!!  ....That was very kind of you, and it is greatly appreciated!

Here is a link to the coalescing air filter which I tried to describe:

http://www.tptools.com/product.asp?base%5Fno=3405%2D60&str%5Fbase%5Fno=3405%2D01%2C3405%2D30%2C3405%2D60%2C3405%2D60B%2C3450%2D06%2C3500%2D60%2C4260%2DAIR%2CME%2D6760%2CPIPE%2DKITS%2C&header%5Ftitle=Keyword+Search&page%5Fname=search%2Fkeyword%5Fresults%2Easp&search%5Ftype=coalescing+filter&size1=&size2=&gender=&ShowImages=yes&sq=0&cont=1&intPgNo=1&mscssid=PFPU81WUX86L9PVR6L71G56DW7J17SDE
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

34ford

Thanks Bruce, and your welcome on the mail.

I did look it up the other say when you mentioned it. Might get the set with the small filter and the paper one too. Going to go to the local autobody store and see what they have. Probably won't as cheap as TP.

bob

34ford

Does anybody have any promotion codes for any discounts at TP Tools. Some times they have them listed on the back of the catalogues

thanks

bob