MPG How-To

Started by hotrodbob, September 05, 2005, 12:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrodbob

Ok, most of us didn't give a ratz azz wot kinda fuel mileage we got when we built our cars, but at $3.+ a gallon for the regular stuff maybe itz time we started looking at that. Forget the late model stuff as Itz our rodz I wanna focus on here.

I'll start with memories of gas lines in the '70's. Hotrod mag did a story on getting MPG from a performance car. Ok, it was a new Z28, but they did get that sucker up 5 or so MPG.

First were headers followed by a Q-jet carb for the smaller primaries, Isky Mile or more cam and a new (at the time) Edelbrock SP2P intake. They took a 15-16 mpg car and brought it up to 20+.

On my '48 Plymouth coupe I have a performer intake a holley 600 cfm carb on my car, but MPG SUCKS (12-15mpg hiway). I'm running a 305/350 Chebby. Cruzes at 70 MPH @ 2100 RPM. With a Q-Jet and stock intake I got almost 20 MPG with 2:78 rear gears. I just found an SP2P for $20 at a swap meet and will start looking for a smaller carb. I'm adding an MSD as well just to make sure the ign. is doing it's best. The goal is 20+ mpg.

So what are you gonna do or what else can we do?
Hotrodbob
Have Mouth, Will Travel.
http://www.bob-beck-motorsportsannouncing.com/

Fat Cat

I plan to continue with my original concept. Which is to run a 3.0L Ford V-6 from an Aerostar in my Model A. I figure if it will do 22MPG in a 3000# box it should do better in a 2100# Model A.

hotrodbob

I had two Aerostars. One auto and one 5 spd. Strange, but the auto got better MPG then the stick.

I was trying to get my kid to put a 4 banger in his Model A, but he is going with a 283.

The editor from Street Rodder back in the 70's put a Buick V6 in his A. Good power and good mpg
Hotrodbob
Have Mouth, Will Travel.

terrarodder

A buddy of mine is running a 86 T- bird engine with a turbo in his model A, gets good milage plus plenty of power, he can keep up with the rest of us with our V 8s an laugh at us at the gas station. He used the whole T bird running gear, narrowed the rear an has disc brakes in the rear.
normal people scare me

OldSub

Thinking about a Cadillac Northstar instead of a big block for my next project...

But gas has come back down here, so I won't be making any radical changes until I'm more confident I know what gas is going to cost.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

Gilles

It's a very important subject to me.  This week-end  was the record in gas prices. I paid 1.40€ a liter. It's 6.7 US$ a gallon! But it doesn't put the roadster in the garage. This summer I did 4000 miles and the meetings season it's not finished. I go for long distances only if I can have a friend coming with me and share the gas cost. Fortunetly it's never difficult to find a volonteer to go on week-end in the roadster.

Quoteand a new (at the time) Edelbrock SP2P intake. They took a 15-16 mpg car and brought it up to 20+.

As I said in another post my 32 roadster is powered by a stock 350 with headers, a 600 CFM Edelbrock carburetor rejetted 2 stages leaner. The manifold is a SP2P Edelbrock bought at the Pomona Swap-meet during a trip in California 2 years ago. I didn't notice a difference with the stock iron manifold and 4 holes adapters I had before, except it tlooks better.

The rear-end ratio is 3.42.

With a TH350 the mileage was 17 MPG at 70 MPH on motorways, 15MPG at 80MPH,  17MPG at 55MPH on 2 lanes roads.

Last year I replaced the TH350 by a TH 700R4.

Now the mileage is 23 MPG at 70MPH on motorways, 19.5MPG at 80MPH, 21MPG at 55MPH on 2 lane roads.

I'm sure It's possible to do 25MPG on motorway driving at 55 MPH. But it's just too much a pain to drive so slowly while the  speed limit it's 80 mph! But if the gas price continue to grow maybe I will try it.

Gilles

C9

Along with better gas mileage is simply not using the car as often.

If the Saturday morning donut run and Saturday night rod run used to cost . . . say, $5.00 in gas and now it costs $7.00 that shouldn't stop most of us.

Overall our monthly gas bill is down because we've gotten better about combining errands and not running around just for the hell of it.

Less running around, which costs money aside from gas, gives me time to stay home and work on other projects.

One thing I do see is people running around thinking about swapping to little engines.
The panic is on just like it was with the two previous gas shortages and I'm starting to see more multiple carb setups for sale than I did before.
I'm guessing as well that hot rods and project cars will start selling for less.

Far as my friend and I exploring the Dez in his Jeep, we're still doing that.
We split the gas, I buy lunch and goodies and he suffers the wear and tear on his Jeep.

Gotta do some hiking around anyway, so we're doing a bit more research before casting off into the great unknown, driving there and spending more time there.

Unknown to us anyway, but then again, what the heck do we know?

Having fun anyway.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

GPster

This is just one more reason to think I may be over-building (?) the jeepster. Unfortunately I've already got too much of the stuff to throw it away. I've been trying to find some information on the WEB about the slant 4s that they used to make out of SBCs for miget racers. Unfortunately, if you use the word miget on "Best of the Web" you seem to get things like "The Wizzard of Oz" in the nude. The idea of 1/2 an 8 appeals to me as I usually only get things half done. I always am enthused by the idea of making the old engines run more efficiently but I'm always coming up with the idea of un-leaded gas and old valve seats. GPster

1FATGMC

Quote from: "GPster"This is just one more reason to think I may be over-building (?) the jeepster. Unfortunately I've already got too much of the stuff to throw it away. I've been trying to find some information on the WEB about the slant 4s that they used to make out of SBCs for miget racers. Unfortunately, if you use the word miget on "Best of the Web" you seem to get things like "The Wizzard of Oz" in the nude. The idea of 1/2 an 8 appeals to me as I usually only get things half done. I always am enthused by the idea of making the old engines run more efficiently but I'm always coming up with the idea of un-leaded gas and old valve seats. GPster

Enter "sesco racing" in Google and you will find some help there.  Ron Hoettells came up with the motor.  I looked at it for my b'ville car when I was going to run a sbc on 4 cylinders to get in the 3 liter class, but determined is was too expensive to go that way.  If you want a 4 I would go with the "a 86 T- bird engine with a turbo" mentioned above or maybe the "Iron Duke".

c ya, Sum

GPster

Quote from: "1FATGMC"Enter "sesco racing" in Google and you will find some help there.  Ron Hoettells came up with the motor.  I looked at it for my b'ville car when I was going to run a sbc on 4 cylinders or maybe the "Iron Duke".c ya, Sum
The motor and trans mounts are already in the frame and I've already got the 350 turbo.I don't think it will bolt up to an "Iron Duke. I wanted to stay old enough to not deal with computer controlled engines. I mostly wanted to see how it was done in relation to the cam and firing order and maybe even think about running the V8 on only four cylinders. May check into the Cadillac idea of 4, 6, or 8 (?) and just use only 4. Probably they'll have a new oil pipeline through the artic before I need to buy gas for it but learing something passes the time. Thanks for the site. GPster

1FATGMC

Quote from: "GPster"
Quote from: "1FATGMC"Enter "sesco racing" in Google and you will find some help there.  Ron Hoettells came up with the motor.  I looked at it for my b'ville car when I was going to run a sbc on 4 cylinders or maybe the "Iron Duke".c ya, Sum
The motor and trans mounts are already in the frame and I've already got the 350 turbo.I don't think it will bolt up to an "Iron Duke. I wanted to stay old enough to not deal with computer controlled engines. I mostly wanted to see how it was done in relation to the cam and firing order and maybe even think about running the V8 on only four cylinders. May check into the Cadillac idea of 4, 6, or 8 (?) and just use only 4. Probably they'll have a new oil pipeline through the artic before I need to buy gas for it but learing something passes the time. Thanks for the site. GPster

It is not that hard to get 20-25 mpg with an 8 cylinder sbc.  That is not bad mileage and going to 30 mpg is only a 20% increase over that.  

If you have the driveshaft already dump the 350 turbo and get a 200R4.  If you still have to do a driveshaft then get a 200R4 or a 700R4.  The overdrive will do more for your mileage than any thing else you can do.

c ya, Sum

hotrodbob

If ya want a slant 4, why not find a early 60's Pontiac. It was 1/2 a 389. They even had a 4 bbl option.

Vega motors sleeved are good. I got 30+ mpg regularly and 38 mpg with jet change, header and distributor springs on my 71 GT when I drove using a vacuum guage to see throttle pressure. Keep the vacuum up and MPG goes up.
Hotrodbob
Have Mouth, Will Travel.

tomslik

"
QuoteMay check into the Cadillac idea of 4, 6, or 8"

here, i'll check for ya,,,,,,

NO!
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

GPster

Quote from: "tomslik""
QuoteMay check into the Cadillac idea of 4, 6, or 8"
here, i'll check for ya,,,,,,NO!
I knew it was a bad idea but I wanted to see how they did it. All of these questions of mine are just to pass my free time between wife,pond, dogs,grass, shopping, grandkids and church. I spend time on the computor but if there's anyone else on here you're talking about where you've been and where you're going. I'm just playing with ideas. GPster

GPster

Quote from: "hotrodbob"If ya want a slant 4, why not find a early 60's Pontiac. It was 1/2 a 389.
I'd like to find out how they did it. My ideas are not how to buy more but to see if the technology can be applied to what I already have. My check into the slant 4 leaves me with the question does this thing have a differant crank to deal with the crank throws that only have one rod on them? What about balance? The firing order is not every other cylinder of the V8 so has it got a special cam? I'm sure there are simple answers  but it can't be that they just cut it in half. Sometimes the thinking is all I can do. GPster