How will gas prices affect your rodding?

Started by purplepickup, September 01, 2005, 10:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

I suspect their might be fewer big-inch and/or supercharged rods built, but aside from that a lot of hobby cars get similar mileage to the full-size pickups and SUVs that fill up our roads.  With EFI, overdrive transmissions and the like I don't know that it'll change things that much.

I realize that overseas there isn't a lot of sympathy for our prices in the US, but it's important to keep in mind that the main reason is that our road use taxes are much lower.  High oil prices on the world market affect everyone.

That said, IMO our current price spike will at least partly blow over.  It's a combination of supply shortage, fear, and profiteering.  Yes, I said profiteering.  Face it, the oil companies spent the last 15 years consolidating so they could take refining capacity out of the market.  They've done a really good job and now any little disruption (and I'll grant this is a BIG one) creates a nice windfall profit for them.  Think about that the next time someone claims Laissez Faire Capitalism without government interference is always good for everyone.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Crosley.In.AZ

I will not change any engine plans for the hotrods with the rise in gasoline prices.

I may buy another motorcycle for 'city ' use.

Gasoline at a station near us tonight was 2.97 for regular, then 3.07 & 3.17 for high test.

Janice has a co-worker , her husband works at a local Honda dealer...... seems many folks are dumping the SUV for a small car. Kinda a knee * reaction that C9 mentions
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

river1

the last few days i've been doing some work over at my father's house. on tues at the station near his house the gas was $2.67 so i went to Costco (near my house) to fill at $2.55. wed the non-costco gas was $2.89. today on my way over there it was $3.05 and an hour later on my way home it was $3.09. :shock:  :shock:

i'm putting some money away to help pay for my BIG vacation next year and i'll be putting away $1000 more then i thought i needed a few weeks ago just to pay for gas. my vacation will be a 5 week cross country driving trip starting in bonneville and ending in conn. hope fully gas prices will stabilize by then.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

OFOF

Mickey and I just got home from the combined trip to Bonneville-Spokane WA-Pleasanton CA and back home to northern Utah.  About 2800 miles all told.  It's a good thing we were driving my '47 sedan with the 302/C-4 that will run on regular instead of my '34 with the blown 350/700r4 that absolutely needs premium.  We found the highest gas prices in California (no big surprise) but it wasn't that much more than on the Oregon coast.  The cheapest gas we found back here in Utah but it has gone up forty cents a gallon since Monday.  I still plan on driving the '47 to the Hot Rod Reunion and to the GG event in Scottsdale.  I plan to enjoy life to the fullest while I can.

Don.
Don Palfreyman

btrc

It probably not going to change my rodding plans much since the '37 (17 MPG) hasn't moved except twice since July 4th.   When I do use it, I use it for long trips and the high prices just make me feel better about putting the AOD in it last spring.  I'd say I'll drive my 427 Cobra less (9 MPG) but it gets driven less than the '37 now.  I have been daily driving my '63 Comet but at 10 MPG it may get replaced by the Mazda at 23 MPG.
 I only live 2 miles from work and most of my driving is just to and from work anyway.

Bob
Bob

rumrumm

I will go to smaller, closer shows and cruises, and the SR Nationals. I'm not crazy about shows, anyway. The whole judging thing turns me off but I feel obligated to attend a few close ones. Since I like horsepower, I don't mind the fact that I have to run premium gas. I'll just bite the bullet and pay the price. And I get reasonably good mileage because of the overdrive tranny, so the price of gas will not change much for me. The price will come back down to around 2.50/gal. once all this mess is straightened out because it is an election year next year, and the politicians don't want an angry constituency.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

lobucrod

It looks like my rodding plans will change for the better. The coupe gets 22mpg opposed to the trucks 16. Looks like it will be cruising to work in the coupe more! Of course I have been riding the Hog more too. IT get 40mpg.

Life can be good if you let it!

I'm just greatful I dont have to have a boat to get around. Dont have one of those.........yet.

Mikej

We have cut down on our driving. I usually drive it every day but now only once or twice a week.  I detuned it this spring so I can use 89 octane. I'm also getting close to 14 mpg by driving 55 and a light foot. I don't mind paying $2.50 for good gas but $3.00+ for crap. We need more refineries in this country. It is a matter of national security as we can now see.  They are even fighting with tree huggers over emission on ethanol plants. Just build them. Our leaders need to start thinking and quit taking polls.

Bib_Overalls

Friend of mine just changed his transmission shop hours.  He will be open long hours Monday thru Thursday and will close Friday and over the weekend.

This will save his employees one commute a week.  I suspect we will be seeing more of this.  Hopefully it will not hurt his business.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

tomslik

Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"Friend of mine just changed his transmission shop hours.  He will be open long hours Monday thru Thursday and will close Friday and over the weekend.

This will save his employees one commute a week.  I suspect we will be seeing more of this.  Hopefully it will not hurt his business.

i LIKE that idea:)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

manyolkars

I dont own ANY modern cars, all mine  are 59 and older, so I will continue driving them.  That said, my 31 and 39 get the best mileage, so they are my first choices.  Of course, that isnt a change, I have always perferred to drive the oldest the most.

48ford

Last winter I put a 200 r4 behind the 400 sbc in the 46,I questioned myself when I was into the project,but now im realy happy that it's behind me. with the 3:75 pig out back We get 18-19 running 70 mph. not bad for a brick!
but Today I got the old karmnn giha out of the barn and got her running!,Irene said YOUR NOT!,but I am going to put around town in it.
The 1100 shadow is fun,
Irene has a minivan that gets 24
The diesal truck gets me 20,full empty,it don't care,but the Mountineer is just sitting.we only need it to get up to a state highway in the winter.
We are still taking the 46 to frankenmouth,but going with 3 couples to k-zoo so will take the van.
Later
Russ&irene

av8

I'm beginning to use my BMW (30+ mpg) for errands and trips to the shop (10 miles each way). Since I got my F-1 a couple of years ago, the BMW has  sat for weeks at a time (almost two months this last time) while I drove my F-1 everywhere.  I love that truck in spite of its primitive driver environment, actually preferring it to the quiet. comfort, and excellent performance of the BMW.

For a couple of months I'd been thinking about a SBC swap in place of the flathead which is getting a little tired and does no better than 12-14 mpg. With a swap, I can use the flathead for a lightweight open-wheeler and enjoy the F-1 on those interstate trips to a pal's shop in Sacramento and trips to SoCal and Nevada.

With a 3.0 9-inch, a THM-350, and some careful ignition and Q-Jet tuning on a late-model SBC I'm figuring 18-20 mpg at cruise speeds of 65-70 mph -- not nearly so good as the BMW, but lots more smiles per mile!   :D

1FATGMC

Quote from: "av8"

With a 3.0 9-inch, a THM-350, and some careful ignition and Q-Jet tuning on a late-model SBC I'm figuring 18-20 mpg at cruise speeds of 65-70 mph -- not nearly so good as the BMW, but lots more smiles per mile!   :D

Dump the 3.0 rear and the 350 auto for 3.50 gears and the 200r4 you were asking about or a 700r4 and you will have much better acceleration and better gas mileage to boot. I like the Q-jet though  :D.

The 3.50 with the overdrive is like a 2.45 rear in 4th.  That is about 18% lower rpm's on the highway or any time you are over 35-40 mph vs. the 3.00 rear.

c ya, Sum

enjenjo

I went to the HAMB drags last week, pulled a trailer with an A body on it out there, no trailer coming back. This was with the 34 Desoto, 305 Chevy, TPI, 700R4, 3.50 gear. I averaged 15 mpg with the trailer, 20 mpg without it, at 65 to 70 mph.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.