New Stance

Started by alchevy, August 28, 2005, 10:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alchevy

A friend of mine helped me the other day and we dropped the front end down on my '40 Chevy by cutting off one ring of the front springs on the Mustang II suspension. Changed the whole look of the car.

I also went last week and bought my Mississippi Street Rod tag.
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

phat46

Quote from: "40chevy"A friend of mine helped me the other day and we dropped the front end down on my '40 Chevy by cutting off one ring of the front springs on the Mustang II suspension. Changed the whole look of the car.

AL

Looks good! Did it change the ride quality any? I hope you have a high and dry place to stay the next couple days!!!!   :shock:

GPster

Quote from: "phat46"I hope you have a high and dry place to stay the next couple days!!!!   :shock:
He could take it and get it re-aligned. The alignment rack will get it up off the ground. GPster

alchevy

I live on a hill so I will be fine. Schools are closed, but work is open. When we setup things on the car (i.e.: aligned the front end), we had the car sitting at the ride height we were looking to achieve later on, so it rides a whole lot better. The lower control arms are sitting horizontal now like they should be. The car has a Fatman Mustang II front end under it.

To get the back down a little is going to take more work. The exhaust was hitting the rear springs, so we changed to the next bolt hole on the rear shocks. Exhaust pipe was ran up and over the springs to get around the gas tank. Running a poly gas tank. The hump in the floor would have to be raised up to get clearance for the driveshaft if the rear of the car was lowered any.
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

rumrumm

Nice stance. Why do you want to drop the rear?
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

terrarodder

Good looking Chevy,I like the rake. Are you running coilovers in the rear? Leaf springs are easy to lower.
normal people scare me

Charlie Chops 1940

I like it. 40's with rake are cool...I'n not biased or anything.

There are a lot of impediments to lowering the rear. I think mine is as low as it can get without c-ing the frame and raising the tunnel. My drive shaft would rub without a snubber to keep the rear from rotating up.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Dirk35

Looks good!

I also had to cut a coil on my 35....even after 2" dropped spindles.

mikev

That's a real nice car, I hope the two of you made it through the storm alright.

alchevy

Thanks for the concern for us. We made it a whole lot better than most Mississippi, Louisianna, & Alabama. My cable modem says that I have a signal, but would not go through. So I am using juno free dial-up to get online...having online withdrawals. We lost a few shingles and the storm ripped some of the aluminum siding off of the cornices, but at least we only went through the softer side of the storm. The news media said that Vicksburg got 35-40mph winds during it, but the local officials said that the wind gauge stops at 35mph and he thinks we got 60-70mph winds here. It knocked out the power by knocking down trees on power lines and across the roads. 22,000 people were without power in my town when it was over with, as of 10am this morning, 12,000 still were in the dark. Mine came on Tuesday night around 9:10pm. They have the main arteries of roads back on, but the sections behind those are not yet on. Don't have power where I work, so have been home from work since Monday afternoon. The drive home was interesting...Coming up a highway, I noticed fireworks that looked like it was off in the distance. I thought...a transformer must of just fried. Then I noticed that it was closer than that...The power lines across the lanes of traffic that I was in were frying with sparks coming down to the road and surrounding a car that was in the other lane. After a brief pause, that car, the pickup beside them in front of me, and me decided to back up. I looked behind me (a good thing to do if you are backing up on a highway) to see the traffice approaching. So I pumped my brakes to get their attention that we were backing up and I chose to back up to the shoulder. We sat there for a few minutes and the sparks had stopped...so we all got brave enough to drive under them and the power lines stayed up and did not fall on us. You never realize how many power lines and such are overhead until you start looking up and see them.
Heard the mayor say today that he wants people here to conserve their fuel and not drive because a portion of the fuel that was coming here will be going elsewhere and we already have long lines at the pumps and tensions are running hotter than the cars waiting in line. Went to Wal-Mart on Wednesday and visited what used to be the bread isle (no bread) and what used to be the bottled water isle (only some pallets of water in the main isles) and you can't even find a can of viena sausage on the shelves. That was the same scene at Kroger. Mayor said that folks went on a buying spree and bought up everything in sight. Don't blame them...if you were told that the power may not be restored until two or three weeks in your neck of the woods, you would buy stuff too if you found it. I have found out that one of my Aunt's family is ok. They stayed there hunkered down in her house. Across the street my cousin's trailer sits with no roof. This was several miles North of Gulfport, MS.

I would like to thank the states all around the USA that have sent in relief and manpower to help out my state and others in this disaster. We need water, ice, generators, basic clothes, toletries, etc.

Heard on the tv this morning that in one city (Clinton, MS) the police dept. is collecting t-shirts, pants, deoderant, etc. to go to the police departments on the Coast for their officers.

I was going to tell y'all to think about us when you go to the gas station and reach to pump gas in your cars, but you probably do because when you see the price, you know why it is so high.

Thanks!
AL

The stance on my car is ok with me too because it would take a lot of work to lower the rear like has been said. Thanks for the comments.

www.astreetrodder.com