What do you use to dye vinal?

Started by 48ford, August 25, 2005, 10:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48ford

Hi,
Irene found me a nice set of are rest for our 46,but they are dark red,wine.
I need them black.
thety are molded so recovering is not a good idea.
paint will crack,ant ideas?
Please help
Russ

34ford

Quote from: "48ford"Hi,
I need them black.
Please help
Russ

Russ,

Go to your local auto body supply store. They have a paint especially for plastic and vinyl in many stock colors. I had them custom mix some for the plastic pieces on my seats to match the leather and it worked great.  Had them put it in spray cans for $5 each plus the paint if I remember right. The black should be available off the shelf

bob

jaybee

I sprayed some white door panels, kick panels, arm rests, and such black with some interior paint from NAPA.  Worked out pretty well, I think this stuff has improved a lot over the years.  Scrubbed everything nice and clean first, I don't suppose paint sticks to Armor All or old dirt very well.

The car was a crazy mix of white seats, console, headliner, door & kick panels with black dash and carpet.  Maybe it's just that the white was old and yellowed so it didn't all match any more, but it's hard to imagine anyone seeing that on the showroom floor and saying "I've got to have that!"
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

48ford

Quote from: "48ford"Hi,
I need them black.
Please help
Russ

Stoped at the paint store,they fixed me up and so far they look good.
Russ

docchevy

Good work.  I hope it sticks.  If you get any silicon on a surface before painting you're going to be hard pressed to get a good paint job.  If it keeps looking good you've got it covered.  If not ...
Recovering vinyl is really easy, once you realize it's pliable (specially since it's black!)  Get yourself some vinyl and warm it with an iron or just a hair dryer, on high.  Then staple the vinyl to the block on one side.  Proceed to stretch the vinyl around the edges and staple as you go.  Even a rank amateur can get great results!
Remember; Physics explains everything!