Daaco Stall Converter?

Started by SMF Speed&Custom, August 25, 2005, 12:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SMF Speed&Custom

I am getting a tranny built by a guy at a local tranny shop. He said he is going to use a 2200-2500 Daaco Performance or performer (can't remember which one it's called) stall converter. The only thing that I don't see right is that it's going to cost 288 bucks for it. I have been seeing people saying that they are getting their stalls for 85 bucks-100 for a Daaco. Now is this performance one better or something? I thought at first he was putting in a Coan stall but found out it's not. The guy used to drag race, etc and know's what he is talking about but just not sure on this price. He is building me a C4 for about 1000 bucks with a shift kit, stall, cooler included and installing it for me with new tranny mount, running the lines, etc. Basically will be done and ready to drive home and good to go.

Any info on this? Are these stalls any good. So far I am hearing 50/50 on them saying they are good and saying they are bad. Probably hearing more bads about them. I just dont get why it will be 288.
Thanks a lot!
If you want something done right then you have to do it yourself!

Crosley.In.AZ

Are your buddies getting Ford stall converters for $85.00?

As I read your post , this is a C-4 tranny?

Ford stall converts take a bit more work to modify.

A Hughes Performance 2500 stall for the C4 is $200 bux from Summit racing.  I like Hughes stuff , but then I work there

Quote from: "SMF Speed&Custom"I am getting a tranny built by a guy at a local tranny shop. He said he is going to use a 2200-2500 Daaco Performance or performer (can't remember which one it's called) stall converter. The only thing that I don't see right is that it's going to cost 288 bucks for it. I have been seeing people saying that they are getting their stalls for 85 bucks-100 for a Daaco. Now is this performance one better or something? I thought at first he was putting in a Coan stall but found out it's not. The guy used to drag race, etc and know's what he is talking about but just not sure on this price. He is building me a C4 for about 1000 bucks with a shift kit, stall, cooler included and installing it for me with new tranny mount, running the lines, etc. Basically will be done and ready to drive home and good to go.

Any info on this? Are these stalls any good. So far I am hearing 50/50 on them saying they are good and saying they are bad. Probably hearing more bads about them. I just dont get why it will be 288.
Thanks a lot!
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

EMSjunkie

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but since
Tony is THE tranny man, in my opinion, I feel
compelled to ask a question of his trannyness,
since I'm an old stock car/sprint car driver, I have never
really had the need to understand "stall" converters, just
what are they, and what do they do for a street driven vehicle?

I hear bells ringing, take me to school Tony!!!

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Crosley.In.AZ

Stall speed is the point where a converter has reached it's maximum fluid flow or it has hydraulically locked up because torque multiplication has reached it's highest point.

All stall speed ratios are approximate and will vary, based on the torque of the engine. Small and Big Block combinations will vary 300 to 500 R.P.M.'s

Stall speed is the amount of engine R.P.M. that can be attained at full throttle with the brakes locked and the transmission in gear before the drive wheels turn. It is very important to determine that if your vehicle drive wheels turn before the desired stall is reached, you must either "flash" the converter to attain higher stall or install a brake proportioning valve that directs more fluid to the drive wheel brakes to better hold the vehicle.

Higher stall speed converters are used on the street on vehicles with hotter camshafts in the engines for better idle while stopped in gear , better driveability with a radical camshaft.

As the vehicle weight goes down... the stall  RPM of the converter needs to go up to avoid leg cramps from holding the car back against the brakes

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"Don't mean to hijack your thread, but since
Tony is THE tranny man, in my opinion, I feel
compelled to ask a question of his trannyness,
since I'm an old stock car/sprint car driver, I have never
really had the need to understand "stall" converters, just
what are they, and what do they do for a street driven vehicle?

I hear bells ringing, take me to school Tony!!!

Vance
Tony

SMF Speed&Custom

No problem it's ok to jack my thread. haha. Actually that was good you did that in case anyone else needed to know that info. But anyways yeah my tranny is a C4 and your right that Ford cost more than Chevy. Unfortunately. Are Daaco any good though? I can't change now since that is what he ordered and has at the shop already.

GPster

Quote from: "SMF Speed&Custom"I can't change now since that is what he ordered and has at the shop already.
This is part of what happens when you have a professional do something at his place of business and you want to pick it up in "drive out the door" condition. When you agree to trust the individual second guessing him can be very disheartening to him. There are people that need watched but that should be done before you agree to his services. This is probably another "foot-in-mouth" statement but it's early enough for me to still have my slippers on. GPster

SMF Speed&Custom

Well I think I know what you are saying but I do trust the guy. He is really nice and even offered me to help him put it in if I wanted to so I can see how it's done and learn. But about the stall, I say that comment about not getting one since it's there already because I don't want to make things difficult and have him hold off more to order another part which will take more time and probably more money that I DO NOT have at all right now. I am sure a Daaco is just fine for me. I mean heck, this tranny is going behing a 302 only so can't expect much power comming from it. I dont need something for drag racing, just as long as it will hold up for everyday driving and not break down on me for a long time and also hold up for just a few runs down the strip.

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "Crosley"snip...
Stall speed is the amount of engine R.P.M. that can be attained at full throttle with the brakes locked and the transmission in gear before the drive wheels turn. ...snip
[/quote]

Whilst we are picking your brain, what does that test do to the trans and converter; must be loading up and generating lots of heat?

This is the first 'performance' car I have ever owned with an auto, so I know little about them (It is a TH350). Recently, I put a custom-made 2200rpm stall behind the new motor and the combination transformed the car.  I have only 'floored' it once, and was quite surprised at how well it took off!  I manually shifted it into low, held the brake, and ran the revs up to about 1500rpm; then I 'floored' it at the same time as releasing the brake.  (I wasn't game to 'floor it' with the brake on).  Anyway, it was on a broomed concrete freeway breakdown lane, so it was pretty grippy.  It spun the wheels for about 10' but hooked-up real well, then I manually shifted it into '2' and 'D'.

So, my question is; is this the right technique, or is there a better way?

SMF Speed&Custom

Can you PLEASE STOP jacking my thread? Haha just messing. Actually this is good I need to know all this as well. Thanks for posting that question....

Shawn-

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "Pope Downunder"
Quote from: "Crosley"snip...
quote]

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

SMF Speed&Custom

No problem. I am glad you asked that question because I was going to ask it sooner or later too.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Pope Downunder"It spun the wheels for about 10' but hooked-up real well, then I manually shifted it into '2' and 'D'.

So, my question is; is this the right technique, or is there a better way?

depends on what you were wanting to do

8)
Tony