66 Ford 9"

Started by SMF Speed&Custom, August 23, 2005, 03:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SMF Speed&Custom

On my 1966 Ford F100 I have a 9 inch rear end that I am wanting to convert to disk brakes later or maybe and would like to know if I have a 28 spline or a 31 spline? Did they come in 31 spline back in 66? Reason I ask is because I have a WAR case and the hubs on the outside have the indention that goes in and I read a few sites that had pictures of the two different hubs and mine looks just like the 31 spline but then again the site said that some 28 splines look just like the 31's... Any help here please? If it's a 28 spline I am guessing no need to upgrade or what? The truck is my everyday driver and does have quite a bit of power going to it but then again not a drag truck or nothing. I want to put some kind of lockers in this thing later too.
Thanks a lot for any info, help, comments, and suggestions.

Shawn-
If you want something done right then you have to do it yourself!

entodad

Quote from: "SMF Speed&Custom"On my 1966 Ford F100 I have a 9 inch rear end that I am wanting to convert to disk brakes later or maybe and would like to know if I have a 28 spline or a 31 spline? Did they come in 31 spline back in 66? Reason I ask is because I have a WAR case and the hubs on the outside have the indention that goes in and I read a few sites that had pictures of the two different hubs and mine looks just like the 31 spline but then again the site said that some 28 splines look just like the 31's... Any help here please? If it's a 28 spline I am guessing no need to upgrade or what? The truck is my everyday driver and does have quite a bit of power going to it but then again not a drag truck or nothing. I want to put some kind of lockers in this thing later too.
Thanks a lot for any info, help, comments, and suggestions.

Shawn-
Why don't you just pop one of the axles out and count the splines?
From what I remember, you can't tell from the outside.
To pull the axle, all you need is to remove the wheel, the drum, the four nuts that hold the retainer on and then use a slide hammer to pull the axle since it is retained on the outside of the axle not by the spider gears like most chevy's

As far as strength goes, unless you are putting some sticky slicks on it and running a standard tranny, you probably don't need the 31's, especially when you consider that to upgrade you not only have to replace the axles, but the ring carrier as well, and this has to match the center section also

I run a 31 spline 4:88 geared 9" under my drag car (1967 Camaro), It is a 355 with a 4 speed tranny and 10.5" slicks.  The 10 bolts had a bad habit of breaking teeth off the pinion and or the ring gear.  When I have it in street trim I run 28 spline axles with 3.50 gears, it has run this way for going on 20 years and I have yet to twist a 28 spline axle.

Have Fun 8)

Doug
WaChiss......(famous last hillbilly word)

Sean

My '65 F100 has 28 spline axles. I put a Detroit Locker out of a Lincoln in mine. If i'm hauling something heavy, you can hear it clicking around corners, but if the bed is empty, it chirps the tires on tight turns. 90% of the time, it might as well be a spool...

SMF Speed&Custom

Thanks for the help guys. Guess I will have to pull them out. When putting them back in do I have to make sure I slide them in a certain way or what?
Also Sean I like your avatar. I like plane art a ton. Know of any sites that has some more of that kind of stuff?

entodad

Quote from: "SMF Speed&Custom"Thanks for the help guys. Guess I will have to pull them out. When putting them back in do I have to make sure I slide them in a certain way or what?
Also Sean I like your avatar. I like plane art a ton. Know of any sites that has some more of that kind of stuff?

Just put the retainer back on the same way it came off.  The splines will line up in any position.

Doug 8)
WaChiss......(famous last hillbilly word)

enjenjo

If it's the original read end, it's 28 spline. They didn't start using 31 splines on trucks until 71 or so, and then it was a heavy duty option.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

SMF Speed&Custom

Ok I see. That is what I figured since I heard someone say they didn't make 31's until early 70's. There will be no need to worry since I only have a 302 in the truck, and it's my daily driver but I just wanted to find out.
Thanks again for the help!

Sean

Quote from: "SMF Speed&Custom"

No, not really. I just had this one because its one of my favorite artists, Greg Hildebrandt...

SMF Speed&Custom

That is some really good art work there. Looks awsome.