Bonneville

Started by sirstude, August 14, 2005, 05:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirstude

Just went out on Landracing.com, and checked on Hooleys progress.  If you click on the Bonneville Speedweeks section on the right, you can look up the results, comments, and pictures.  Hooley was cooking in the first mile on the short course, and then must have shut down.  There are pictures of his car and Sum's Truck on the Sunday section, so he must have run today.  Saturday's results didn't show up until today, so today's probably won't show up until later tonight, or early tomorrow.  He was up to 194 in the quarter, so that thing flat accelarates!!!

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

sirstude

Sorry,  Missed the heading, Hooley was on the Long course yesterday.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

purplepickup

Thanks Doug :D   Just in case someone has trouble finding the pictures they're here and there's more on page 3.  It looks like he made three runs today....2 on the short course and one on the long course.  The long course run was 207 at the 1 mile but then it looks like he let off on it.  Probably feeling things out.

....sure wish I was there.... :(
George

sirstude

Here is another link to more pictures and results.  Check out the semi on page 2 of Sunday's pictures.  I bet you can see the smoke from that in Salt Lake.

http://www.scta-bni.org/

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

www.theicebreaker.us

GPster

I'll relay things the way I think they are. The track wasn't all that smooth and Hooley shut down early. In vestigation found that the track problems were made worse by the fact that the rear coil-overs were set-up kind of bottomed out. The lower coil-over mounts were re-worked to give about 4" of travel and the next run was better, 212 MPH at the exit.It was still a little flakey and the next run was going to be tried with some balast added to the rear but there was some concern about the engine too. Checking the engine showed oil on one of the plugs and there was some oil on the blower belt and on the front of the blower. The thought was that the seal on the front gear case of the blower might had let some oil out but it hadn't benn ironed out weather there was a connection with this to the oily plug. I do not know what their decission was. There was a roll-over on the long track and the ambulancetook the driver off the track. With out a safety vehicle at the track the running on the track was stopped. When I left at 4:30 it didn't look like there would be any more runs would be made on sunday so that's how sunday ended. Come to find out that the driver appeared dead when he was removed from the vehicle. That's all that I can give you.  GPster

HotRodLadyCrusr

If it's the same racer the HAMB folks are talking about, then yes, he did die.  My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66528
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"If it's the same racer the HAMB folks are talking about, then yes, he did die.  My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66528

yep , he died right after the crash we were told.  

the driver's friends were in the room next to us, we chatted with one fellow.  the word did not get around the track too well right after the accident that the driver died.

the fellow at the motel said the track was just too rough , possibly causing the crash  that killed his friend.

EDIT:  I added the photo
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

sirstude

GPster, thanks for the info on Hooley, I read on one of the other Bonneville boards, that the course was as rough as anyone can remember, also saw the deal on John Beckett.  Never met him, but he posted quite a bit on the Landracing site, nuff said!

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

www.theicebreaker.us

Crosley.In.AZ

Janice and I watched an in car video of Hooley's run on sunday.....

you could hear him feathering the throttle by the sound of the engine.... that was the run out the back door of mile 4  at 212 mph.

I enjoyed our time there sat & sunday.

Kept running into Joe...... I think he was following us.  :arrow:   :wink:   :wink:
Tony

MO_JUNK

Quote from: "sirstude"Just went out on Landracing.com, and checked on Hooleys progress.  If you click on the Bonneville Speedweeks section on the right, you can look up the results, comments, and pictures.  Hooley was cooking in the first mile on the short course, and then must have shut down.  There are pictures of his car and Sum's Truck on the Sunday section, so he must have run today.  Saturday's results didn't show up until today, so today's probably won't show up until later tonight, or early tomorrow.  He was up to 194 in the quarter, so that thing flat accelarates!!!

Doug

Wz called yesterday morning and said they were done-problems with the blower that couldn't be fixed at the track. They are heading home.  Sam

Jimc

Word is going around that rain forced the cancellation of Speedweek.
Do not know the accuracy, but there has been rain forcast for that area of the world.

Jim
Life in the fast lane aint so great. Just ask the opossum

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Jimc"Word is going around that rain forced the cancellation of Speedweek.
Do not know the accuracy, but there has been rain forcast for that area of the world.

Jim

www.landracing.com   reports  the meet is cancelled
Tony