C-4 flexplate

Started by Phil55, March 12, 2004, 08:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil55

Is the flexplate for a C-4 the same as the AOD flexplate for a 302? :?:

48ford

Quote from: "Phil55"Is the flexplate for a C-4 the same as the AOD flexplate for a 302? :?:

No,One has 157 teeth,the other has164.
I can't remember ,but i think the 157 is for c-4 fmx.
Later Russ&Irene

Leon

The 157 tooth has a 28 oz balance weight and the 164 has a 50 oz weight.

Phil55

Thanks for the info.  I want to use a C-4 (because I have it) but I don't have a flex plate...this gives me the info needed to sort thru the pile at the salvage yard.

Phil55

Thanks for the info.  I want to use a C-4 (because I have it) but I don't have a flex plate...this gives me the info needed to sort thru the pile at the salvage yard.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Phil55"Thanks for the info.  I want to use a C-4 (because I have it) but I don't have a flex plate...this gives me the info needed to sort thru the pile at the salvage yard.

From what I remember, the AOD and C4 can use the same flex plates. The difference is that 302 engines newer than 1980 are balanced differently than 1979 or older 302 engines. If you have a newer than 1980 302, you need a AOD flex plate, and older 302 engines use the C4 flex plate. The transmission will bolt up to either old or new 302 engines. You can use a C4 or an AOD transmission behind ANY 302, but you have to buy the right starter for the flex plate.

I had to figure all of this out when I put a newer 302 engine into my 1976 Ford van!

Leon

Quote from: "Evil Otto"The transmission will bolt up to either old or new 302 engines. You can use a C4 or an AOD transmission behind ANY 302, but you have to buy the right starter for the flex plate.
The AOD spaces the starter out further from the crank than a C4 which is why you need a larger flexplate for the AOD.  The bolt pattern on the AOD converter is bigger than the C4.  The C4 has a 10 1/2" Dia bolt circle on the converter. The AOD uses an 11 1/2" bolt patern.