Holiday in the USA

Started by SimonSez, August 01, 2005, 01:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonSez

I posted in the Bonneville thread that we would be there, but our plans have changed and we aren't going to be able to get there now.

But we are still coming to the USA in a couple of weeks :D

We are basically driving in a loop from Dallas/FW (TX),  down to Austin, across to New Orleans, up to Memphis, then Springfield & Joplin MO (for the HAMB drags) and then back to DFW via Oklahoma City.

Can anyone recommend any interesting car related things to do in any of those places or in-between. (e.g. speed shops, junkyards, car collections, etc) ?

Currently we have found swapmeets in Hico, Texas and Springfield, MO so that should be a good start !

If any of you guys are going to be at the Hamb drags, let us know and we will try to say g'day there.

And in case you are wondering who the heck I am, I haven't posted much under this latest version of the RRT, but posted lots on previous versions (going right back to the early days of the original Cybercruzin board) as Simon Clements.

cheers,
Simon

alchevy

What is the esitmated dates that you will be going from New Orleans to Memphis? There is a pre-'49 car show in Hammond, LA on August 18-21, 2005. Here's the number: 601-684-2609.

September 3-4, there is a 55-57 Chevy (only) show in Vicksburg, MS  info: 601-856-2852. Vicksburg is about an hours drive West from where I-20 meets I-55 in Jackson, MS.

Also on September 3rd, since it is the first Saturday of the month, there is a huge cruise night near the Byram exit on I-55. Byram, MS is about 15 minutes South of Jackson, MS. Starts at 5-6pm that night. Here's an example of how many cars show up: http://www.vicksburgcruisers.com/byramcruzin.htm

Here is a link to the whole schedule for the rest of the year for a lot of car events in this area: http://www.ms-sra.org/msra/2005_schedule.htm
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

47wood

Simon,

In Memphis you can go by Graceland and see Elvis' car collection and the rest of his digs too.  Also Memphis is the home of the Blues (Beale Street), and great barbeque too (The Rondevous, Corkey's, etc, etc.).

Cal   :wink:
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!

1FATGMC

Quote from: "SimonSez"I posted in the Bonneville thread that we would be there, but our plans have changed and we aren't going to be able to get there now.

And in case you are wondering who the heck I am, I haven't posted much under this latest version of the RRT, but posted lots on previous versions (going right back to the early days of the original Cybercruzin board) as Simon Clements.

cheers,
Simon

I didn't want to hear this  :cry: .  After your last trip to B'ville where we almost met I was hoping this time we would  :D .

Well have a good time on your trip.

c ya, Sum

ONE37TUDOR

Not much happening in the Austin Area during the month of August. There is a fairly good swapmeet in Rosanky (about 25 miles from austin) September 15-17 and the Texas Lonestar Goodguys event in Ft. Worth on October 1st weekend if you will be in those areas at those times.
Scott...
SCOTT,  slow moving, slow talking, no typing SCOTT

SimonSez

Thanks for that Al.

We have accommodation booked in New Orleans Fri 19th and Sat 20th, so should be able to check out the car show in Hammond on Friday on the way there.

Quote from: "40chevy"What is the esitmated dates that you will be going from New Orleans to Memphis? There is a pre-'49 car show in Hammond, LA on August 18-21, 2005. Here's the number: 601-684-2609.

AL

SimonSez

Quote from: "47wood"Simon,

In Memphis you can go by Graceland and see Elvis' car collection and the rest of his digs too.  Also Memphis is the home of the Blues (Beale Street), and great barbeque too (The Rondevous, Corkey's, etc, etc.).

Cal   :wink:

Thanks. We are definitely going to check out Beale St and catch some music and a good plate of ribs !   We also plan to check out Graceland as well.

Any tips for a good route from Memphis to Springfield ?

We are currently planning to take the back roads and check out some of the lakes around Mountain Home.  It looks like it is very scenic around there.

SimonSez

Thanks Sum. It would have been good to meet you and the other RRT'ers at Bonneville, and to have seen the Stude run !

It was a tough choice, but in the end we decided that we just didn't have enough time to start at Bonneville without having to rush through Texas, Louisiana, etc.  

I'm sure we will get back to Bonneville one day though :)

Quote from: "1FATGMC"
I didn't want to hear this  :cry: .  After your last trip to B'ville where we almost met I was hoping this time we would  :D .

Well have a good time on your trip.

c ya, Sum

HotRodLadyCrusr

I'm one of the lucky RRTer's then cuz I get to meet you at the HAMB Drags. 8)
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Bib_Overalls

The route most folks take from Memphis to Springfield is North on I-55 for about 20 miles and then North West on US 63 through Jonesboro and West Plains to US 62 and then West.  If you take this route you will pas less than a mile from my house.  There are a couple of hot rod shops here and if you have time for a stop I will show you the sights.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

SimonSez

Thanks, but we will be gone by September. Austin looks like a nice place, so it won't matter if we get a couple of days to just play tourist.

Quote from: "ONE37TUDOR"Not much happening in the Austin Area during the month of August. There is a fairly good swapmeet in Rosanky (about 25 miles from austin) September 15-17 and the Texas Lonestar Goodguys event in Ft. Worth on October 1st weekend if you will be in those areas at those times.
Scott...

SimonSez

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"I'm one of the lucky RRTer's then cuz I get to meet you at the HAMB Drags. 8)

Looking forward to it !

Crosley.In.AZ

no  visit to the salt?

bummer
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

SimonSez

Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"The route most folks take from Memphis to Springfield is North on I-55 for about 20 miles and then North West on US 63 through Jonesboro and West Plains to US 62 and then West.  If you take this route you will pas less than a mile from my house.  There are a couple of hot rod shops here and if you have time for a stop I will show you the sights.

That route looks like it would work well. We should have time for a stop, and it would be nice to meet you.

If all is going according to plan we will probably be heading through there on the 24 August.

cheers,
Simon

HOTRODSRJ

Quote from: "SimonSez"Thanks, but we will be gone by September. Austin looks like a nice place, so it won't matter if we get a couple of days to just play tourist.

If you around Austin.....and ya love ribs and barbeque....ya got to go to the best joint in the nation in Driftwood Texas called the Salt Lick.  Wow...what an experience.  

http://www.saltlickbbq.com/  for info and directions...you won't be sorry. But, bring your own beer....Texas is really screwy about their liquor laws.
STEVE "JACKSTANDS" JACK