1961 Galaxy box to power rack

Started by ONE37TUDOR, August 01, 2005, 12:38:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONE37TUDOR

Has anyone here ever attempted to change a 60-64 Ford Galaxy from a steering box with power assist over to rack and pinion? The problem I would like to work out is how to get the inner tie rod ends to be in the right place? On a stock setup they are only about 6" apart.
I saw a conversion that showed some type of rack that allowed the inner points to be close together and it indicated it was a factory part but never identified what the rack came from?
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Scott...
SCOTT,  slow moving, slow talking, no typing SCOTT

btrc

I would take a look at a '90s small GM car.  I just bought a rack for a 92 Grand Am to use on a system I'm designing for a Mercury Comet.  The GM rack has the tierods bolted to it in the center of the rack, maybe 3" apart.  I have seen kits where they bolt a plate to this which has two holes for tie rods with the proper spacing to match the intended use.

Bob
Bob

tomslik

Quote from: "btrc"I would take a look at a '90s small GM car.  I just bought a rack for a 92 Grand Am to use on a system I'm designing for a Mercury Comet.  The GM rack has the tierods bolted to it in the center of the rack, maybe 3" apart.  I have seen kits where they bolt a plate to this which has two holes for tie rods with the proper spacing to match the intended use.

Bob

anther choice might be a lhs/concorde/intrepid r&p.
similar in design to the gm rack but made for a heavier car.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

ONE37TUDOR

Thanks for the info, I will be checking these out this week. I don't mind the fab work I just could not figure out how a rack could have the tie rod points near tha center? Now Maybe I can tare one apart to understand it better.
Thanks,
Scott...

BFS57

Hello;
When it comes to rack and pinion, I'm not an expert but if you go to the Maval web site, they have a selection of many to choose from and have a page where you dictate the measurements of what you are needing.
They came up with the rack that replaces the Vega box and all on a 29-32 steering. They just also, put out a new set up for 55-57 Chevys.
Check em out!

Bruce

parklane

Quote from: "BFS57"Hello;
When it comes to rack and pinion, I'm not an expert but if you go to the Maval web site, they have a selection of many to choose from and have a page where you dictate the measurements of what you are needing.
They came up with the rack that replaces the Vega box and all on a 29-32 steering. They just also, put out a new set up for 55-57 Chevys.
Check em out!

Bruce

What's their web site addy??
John
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

ONE37TUDOR

Thanks for the Maval tip - Good site for r&p products.
Scott...

P.S. Just do a Google search for Maval ant it will come right up.

river1

Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

BFS57

Scott!
I used to own a '67 Galaxie I drove for several years. It had a factory power steering in it and it was really nice! I also have seen a derivative of the "605" power steering box that is set up for '60's Fords! I know I saw a magazine article on this in Rod and Custom (I'm pretty sure).
Try the Borgeson web (www.borgeson.com)
I do know that any or most of these retro steering set ups are expensive thats why I suggested the fact that my Ford had a really nice factory power steering set up.
Found it!!! try: www.ndgearheadscruiserproducts.com (Phew! thats long!)
known as "Gearheads Cruiser Products".

Bruce

btrc

What a coincidence,  I went to my local old car junkyard last Saturday to pickup some Granada spindles so I can convert my '63 Comet to disc brakes when I do the R+P conversion and they told me that have been shipping all their spindles to Gearhead Exchange.  I was able to find a couple they missed though.

Bob
Bob

ONE37TUDOR

Thanks BFS57 that is a good site but that is a lot of money for a steering box? Or it could just be that I am so cheep?

Scott...

BFS57

Hello;
I don't think that you are cheap! If you are, I'm More! Believe me these retro assemblys are very high priced!! Any guy that can "make his own" for much less is sometime better off!
Certain things need to have that added "assurance" of some of these retro assemblys such as brakes! It seems like the more I try to "fiddle" around the more dis-satisfied I get! Maybe it's just me. Believe me, If I had unlimited funds I too would "get the best" if not for the name and quality of that product but also for the fact that I can "*' someone out if their product ain't worth a poop!
I have a family, and the car process takes back seat to what really comes first. Although, I haven't done too bad, I bought my present project on EBAY ('57 Chevy 4 door hardtop) as well as a lot of the fix up items!
I have been driving this car everyday for over two years so far.
I've got a "laundry list" of things to do to this car a mile long but time and money are the deciding factor of what jobs come before other jobs.

BFS57

enjenjo

I picked up a Torino Steering box, it's a Saginaw integral power box, It looks like it will fit a 60 to 64 Ford full size, but I haven't actually done it yet. I'll post here when I find out for sure.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

ONE37TUDOR

Thanks for the help guy's. I have been told that a late model Explorer sport track or a f-150 supercrew box may work on a 60-64? I have not looked at them even though I have both of those vehicles?
Have been spending the last 10 days in intensive care with my father, hope to have more time to look soon.
Again thanks for the help.
Scott...