32 Sedan 4 door into 2 door

Started by oiler, July 30, 2005, 12:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oiler

I've got a pretty good opprtunity to pick up a 32 sedan that was hotrodded back in the 60's, problem is it's a 4 door and thats not for me.
Anyone ever convert one to a 2 door sedan?
I know it'd be a lot of work but would it be worth it?
Thanks
Jeff

Bib_Overalls

Never seen a successful conversion.  But if the conversion was successful I guess I would not know it if I saw it.

I'm thinking the front doors on a four door 32 are narrower than those on a 2 door.  And then there is the rear quarter window issue.  The "C" pillar would have to be cut away to make a 2 door style side window.  I'd be concerned about strength in that area.

I have seen Model A and 32 four doors converted to very nice stretched pickup cabs.  Requires some serious metal forming below the quarter and rear windows.   But it is infinately more doable than a four door to two door conversion.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

oiler

Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"Never seen a successful conversion.  But if the conversion was successful I guess I would not know it if I saw it.

I'm thinking the front doors on a four door 32 are narrower than those on a 2 door.  And then there is the rear quarter window issue.  The "C" pillar would have to be cut away to make a 2 door style side window.  I'd be concerned about strength in that area.

I have seen Model A and 32 four doors converted to very nice stretched pickup cabs.  Requires some serious metal forming below the quarter and rear windows.   But it is infinately more doable than a four door to two door conversion.
I know the doors would have to be stretched but I figure you could use the rear door as a filler for the front door. I kow it'd be a big job but 32 2 door sedans aren't that common

Bib_Overalls

Anything Henry built in 1932 has disportonate value.  No matter how well you do the conversion, the car will always be a "two door built out of a four door".  There are a lot of intangables here.  But my gut tells me the hot rodded original four door will ultimately be more valuable than the conversion.

If you want a two door and this is the only way you can get one then go ahead.  But you need to have reasonable expectations.  About the effort it is going to take and what you will have when you are done.

But what do I know.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

enjenjo

It should be doable. The overall shape of the body is about the same, so all the work would be on the sides. It might be worth finding a pair of two door doors, then you could move the rear doors back to eliminate the quarter window. To do it right, you would have to build new framing, and just use the door skins to fill the outside. You could chop the top at the same time too. :lol:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Uncle Bob

Quote from: "oilerI kow it'd be a big job but 32 2 door sedans aren't that common

Just for your info most accepted production figures show the tudor sedan as the highest volume body style for 1932 Fords at 90568.  Four doors come in at 36649.  As both Steve and Frank have said, it's doable but as you've surmised, it's a gang of work.  Given that tudor production was nearly 2 1/2 times greater than four door, it might be worth it to keep searching.  Just another note, in "square bodied" cars, four doors have been gaining more acceptance in recent years since, as Frank said, the overall lines are very similar.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

Dave

Quote from: "oiler"I've got a pretty good opprtunity to pick up a 32 sedan that was hotrodded back in the 60's, problem is it's a 4 door and thats not for me.
Thanks
Jeff

Id leave it and build it fenderless like the one John Hall from flint did. Ive never seen a more door look so good.
Dave

btrc

As you may or may not know I converted my '37 Ford 4 Dr. to a 2 door.  I used the skin of the rear doors to add the 6+ inches to the front door to make them the width.  The hardest part of the conversion was the making the rear side window frames the proper shape.  I think mine came out pretty good but there is lots and lots of time into it.  The only reason I did it is because I had a lot of time into the body as a 4dr before I decided I really had to have a 2dr.  I do worry about the resale value but it is still more original than a fiberglass car and there is nothing poor about their value.
I have to agree that it would probably be better to keep looking for a 2 dr. or stick with the 4 dr.  You see more and more 4drs around and on a 32 you don't hardly notice it any more.  Fenderless would be a great way to go.

Bob
Bob

river1

Quote from: "N8DC"Id leave it and build it fenderless like the one John Hall from flint did. Ive never seen a more door look so good.
Dave

is this it? even if it isn't, i i likey.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Dave

Quote from: "river1"
Quote from: "N8DC"Id leave it and build it fenderless like the one John Hall from flint did. Ive never seen a more door look so good.
Dave

is this it? even if it isn't, i i likey.

later jim

Thats it. Id give my left you know what to have a good 4 door body for a price i could afford. Then only then would I build another car.. Johns car is nice and i really want one LOL............
Dave

Dirk35

I like them with fenders. I like the four door just fine, but if a two-door is really what you have your heart set on, you need to pass and get a two-door.

rooster

Quote from: "oiler"I've got a pretty good opprtunity to pick up a 32 sedan that was hotrodded back in the 60's, problem is it's a 4 door and thats not for me.
Thanks
Jeff

Well not a sedan! But the guy I got mine from made it into a coupe! While he was doing it he chopped it.

BlueTrack-T

it's a A model 4dr. to a 2dr. with the front doors removed.

GPster

Quote from: "BlueTrack-##### a A model 4dr. to a 2dr. with the front doors removed.
[img
http://www.nineteen84.net/BlueTrackT/2.jpg[/img]
Or he could use the front doors and fill the wheel wells and use it for a "Super Cab" on a truck. He could also take that and put a roadster cowl and doors on it and make a limosine. Or if he took what was in the picture and put it on a stock "Duece" chassis" he'd have room to add another foot an a half of hood then he could run a V12. "Car Stuff" Legos. I'm glad everybody's out having fun and no body's listening. GPster

Uncle Bob

Here's another example of a recently built too many door for further inspiration.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.