Things To Do In Louisville??

Started by 40, July 24, 2005, 01:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The wife and grandson are possibly going to tag along this year to the Nat's.....I believe she thinks I'm getting too old to make the trip alone :roll: A day at the fairgrounds will be more than enough for them...just wondering if anyone has a suggestion on what might be available to entertain them the remainder of the time there? The amusement park on the grounds is a possibility but if it's extremely hot,like usuall,that won't be much fun.I tried to explain to her that when we travel together...she sticks her nose in a book and doesn't say two words the entire trip unless she's hungry or has to pee....It's just like traveling alone only I have to stop way more often!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Bib_Overalls

Are you married to my wife?

Quote from: "40"when we travel together...she sticks her nose in a book and doesn't say two words the entire trip unless she's hungry or has to pee....It's just like traveling alone only I have to stop way more often!
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

34ford

Daryle,

Gee Daryle, there's the whole exibitor building for her to go through and that should take a couple of days at least to see it all  :lol:  :lol: .

Have her take the grandson to the Louisville Slugger bat factory downtown. It's a great tour seeing how the harvest the wood how they make bats and actually seeing them make bats, burning on the logos and names and finishing them. You can even have a bat made with your name and signature in it. You sign up for that when you get there and it's ready at the end of the tour. Go to the Louisville Slugger website and it will tell you all about it.  They use to run buses to the mall also, don't know if they still do that since I don't do malls  :shock:.

bob

Dave

Quote from: "40"The wife and grandson are possibly going to tag along this year to the Nat's.....I believe she thinks I'm getting too old to make the trip alone :roll: A day at the fairgrounds will be more than enough for them...just wondering if anyone has a suggestion on what might be available to entertain them the remainder of the time there? The amusement park on the grounds is a possibility but if it's extremely hot,like usuall,that won't be much fun.I tried to explain to her that when we travel together...she sticks her nose in a book and doesn't say two words the entire trip unless she's hungry or has to pee....It's just like traveling alone only I have to stop way more often!

Chirchhill downs is cool also the louisville slugger  deal down town is also way cool. There is a lot to do there id go early to sight see then take in the nats.
lets see if iremember right there is a couple whiskey places you can visit also. Makers mark and Jack daniels isnt too far away.. Get online and see if there are any concerts down town alos. We say steppin wolf and travis tritt there and its cheap and always good. If you like sea food eat at joes is right next to the park where they have the concerts. There is a lot of really cool places to eat down town.
Dave

n.c.rodder

I have an 11 year old daughter - We've done the zoo a couple of times. Also another suggestion is to take the paddle boat ride on the river.

Mike
Till we meet - On the street

HOTRODSRJ

The exhibitors at Lville are great.......but com'mon, it takes me a half day to go thru with my mouth a flappin!

I for one think L'ville (the town of) is boring.  How many restaurants on the river do you want to eat at?

Going east on 64 and look for horse farms with tours.  Pretty neat to see world class horses and kids love it.

One of the most beautiful parks is just an hour away at Cliffy Falls State Park in Madison Indiana and quaint shops abound downtown Madison.  I would take the falls in and other park activities too.  The drive along the river is awesome too.

Indy is just 100 miles to the north and lots to do there.  Take in the Zoo (one of the country's best) and IMAX downtown ( a real kid favorite....and me too).  Lot's of places to eat downtown too.  Just make sure you come around noon and get out of town by 5..... traffic for the Brickyard will be a problem outside those hours. Just trek downtown on 65 and exit at Illinois and follow the signs.
STEVE "JACKSTANDS" JACK

alchevy

According to Street Scene Magazine, there will be buses going to 4 area malls. Ya'll have gotten me interested in going to the L'ville Slugger place now. Don't forget about the games they can play at the Nats. My nephew was going to go with me this year, but he has band camp the same week. Also...in Street Scene, the monster truck will be back and they will have a guitar museum on wheels there with classic guitars. Then there's Women's World.

It's getting close to time to go there...
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

34ford

Quote from: "HOTRODSRJ"The exhibitors at Lville are great.......but com'mon, it takes me a half day to go thru with my mouth a flappin!

Hey Steve,  that was a joke meaning it really wouldn't take a woman the time to walk thru there and be done.  :roll:

Here's the Slugger web site to check it out. http://www.sluggermuseum.org/index.aspx

definitely worth the trip and $$, since it's not free. Times and cost are on the visitors page.

bob

Pope Downunder

The first time I was there I checked out the foreshore park; it is fantastic.  Also, the slugger stadium was interesting; and I walked through Old Louisville and checked-out all the old homes.  Didn't get to Bardstown, but I hear that is great; and down that way there is a fantastic Civil War museum.

34ford

Daryle,

You could stop by and pick me up. I'll be quiet and don't snore either.  :shock:

bob

hotrodbob

If the "BATS" are playin baseball that weekend go to the Louisville Slugger's stadium. It's a great old style brick baseball stadium and the fried Boloney sandwiches are GREAT!
Hotrodbob
Have Mouth, Will Travel.
http://www.bob-beck-motorsportsannouncing.com/

Thanks for the suggestions.....The thought of extremely warm weather and me spending the entire time looking at cars/parts has got my wife re-thinking her tagging along.....Looks like I will probably be traveling alone after all. Bob....You certainly would be welcome to tag along....or anyone else for that matter.I and a couple of the guys that work for me are spending 4 nights a week in my 35' travel trailer along the river where we are working...believe me,I would hardly notice a little snoring :roll:
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"