PS pump questions...

Started by efingstein, July 22, 2005, 02:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

efingstein

Afternoon fellas, I rebuilt the PS pump on my '66 425 Buick last month. It's the old stlye round can and pump with alarge cap on top. I closely followed the instructions that came with the o-ring kit (that's about the only parts needed for a rebuild). I packed the vanes of the pump with chassis grease on the recommendation of a mechanic friend. When I reassembled the pump, I bled the pump and rack like I did on some of my other cars (wheels up, motor runnung, steering from left to right slowly). The pump still howls and moans like the fluid level is low. The level is right where it needs to be. What did I do wrong? Did I overlook something? What pointers cn ya'l give me. Thanks.
Every man should forcibly leave his steel toe boot print on the face of history.

unklian

Do these things have bearings in them ?

Not too sure on the chassis grease trick.

enjenjo

There may be a problem with the chassis grease. I would have used Vaseline. If everything is working ok, you might just try running it for a while. You should also check the relief valve in the pump. Or, if it's a mustang rack, make sure it's hooked up correctly.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

efingstein

I will be driving the Merc to Salina this weekend for the spectacular so hopefully I'll get enough miles on it to clean out the grease in the pump. I figure if it fries, I'll just pop the belt off and fix it when I get there.
Every man should forcibly leave his steel toe boot print on the face of history.