LED Turn Indicators??

Started by 40, July 15, 2005, 11:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Getting real close on the 36....just buttoning up a bunch of last minute stuff before we fire it up! I am wanting to add a couple of very small LED's for the signal indicators and another for the high-beam indicator to the dash.It seems that I bought the last ones at the Nat's a couple of years ago,perhaps from a company called Watson Streetworks or something similar?Just wondering if anyone has used a local source such as Radio Shack or the like?The last ones I used were about the size of a pop rivet,I simply drilled a hole the same size and pushed them in....I don't recall if they had a clip or some type of keeper on the back or if the friction alone held them in?Just curious as to what you guys/gals have used in the past??Thanks!!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

moparrodder

Quote from: "40"Getting real close on the 36....just buttoning up a bunch of last minute stuff before we fire it up! I am wanting to add a couple of very small LED's for the signal indicators and another for the high-beam indicator to the dash.It seems that I bought the last ones at the Nat's a couple of years ago,perhaps from a company called Watson Streetworks or something similar?Just wondering if anyone has used a local source such as Radio Shack or the like?The last ones I used were about the size of a pop rivet,I simply drilled a hole the same size and pushed them in....I don't recall if they had a clip or some type of keeper on the back or if the friction alone held them in?Just curious as to what you guys/gals have used in the past??Thanks!!

Daryle,  while at Des Moines I picked up a catalog from Kwik Wire out of Fond Du Lac, Wi. and I think they have the led lights you want.  They have them in three sizes,  1/4 inch that fits a .250" hole,5/32 inch that fits a .156"hole,and 5/16 inch that fits a 5/16" hole and are 12 volt  and in amber,red,green,and blue. They look like they just push in the hole you drill and they also have some chrome ones in the same colors that have a chrome bezel that screws on the end to hold them in the drilled hole .  The push in ones arepriced at $3.50 to $4.50 and the chrome ones are$5.00.  The picture in the catalog shows they are a two wire light.  Their phone # is (920)-921-2637 or 888-994-9913 and Fax  (920)-921-9037.   Hope this helps.   Bill

btrc

That's what I used in my car too, I just drilled a hole and pushed them in.  I got mine from Centech, where I got my fuse box and wiring too.
  Daryle,  Are you going up to Canton to the show next Sunday?

Bob
Bob

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "40"Getting real close on the 36....just buttoning up a bunch of last minute stuff before we fire it up! I am wanting to add a couple of very small LED's for the signal indicators and another for the high-beam indicator to the dash.It seems that I bought the last ones at the Nat's a couple of years ago,perhaps from a company called Watson Streetworks or something similar?Just wondering if anyone has used a local source such as Radio Shack or the like?The last ones I used were about the size of a pop rivet,I simply drilled a hole the same size and pushed them in....I don't recall if they had a clip or some type of keeper on the back or if the friction alone held them in?Just curious as to what you guys/gals have used in the past??Thanks!!

I buy them from Haywire.  I have needed to add a diode to the high beam indicator in some cases to keep it from glowing on low beam.  It seems they require so little electricity to operate and they pick up stray voltage on some wiring systems.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Thanks guys! I stopped at Radio Shack and they had a huge selection which included ones similar to both Kwik Wire and Speedy Bill's.I decided on a couple of amber ones for the signal indicators and a red one for the high beam indicator.Instead of mounting them in the dash,I opted to mount them in my column mount....not as visible but it leaves the dash very sanitary.They have a built in resistor which is supposed to help with the stray voltage.Best of all....They were $2 and I didn't have to wait for them  :D
    Bob,I don't think I'll enter a car at the Canton show though I'll probably try and make it up for a couple of hours.One of the fellows who promotes that show judged a show in Jefferson that I attended with the 40 last weekend....he was really pushing me to bring it to thier show in Canton.With seven hundred cars entered it's a fun show as a spectator but gets to be VERY long as a participant.....I think they have over 50 classes and I believe they do awards down to 5th place.....too much for me.Shoot me an e-mail and let me know your plans....If it works out,I'll buy lunch!!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"