questions on Rotary Mazda engines.

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, July 01, 2005, 01:06:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I may have a chance to pick up an mazda rx-7 that runs .  The car is an automatic tranny and the jatco trannys used in this cars were real turds.

Did Mazda do anything different on these engines between a manual & automatic? I don't want to buy the car and find out that crankshafts are different at the flywheel flange for manual & auotmatic.

I am doing a google search for Mazda information too.

This evening I pulled the engine from my Crosley wagon.  It's time to freshen up the running gear and get er driveable again.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Bruce Dorsi

I don't know anything about them, but I bet that Mazda Rotary could make that Crosley a FUN ride!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

purplepickup

Speakin' of Crosley wagons....here's one that was in the Justice Brothers Museum we saw on our tour.  I don't know anything about Mazdas tho :?

George

btrc

Tony,
 Finally I can give you some info.  I drag raced Mazdas for 4 years in the late 70s before import racing was popular.  There is no difference in the engine.  The only difference is that the balance weight on the Automatic is a seperate piece that goes on the end of the ecentric shaft (crank shaft) and the flex plate bolts to this.  On the Manual the balance weight is built into the flywheel.  When you get an aftermarket fywheel you get the automatic counterweight and a neutral balanced flywheel.  I actually used a small block Ford flywheel in mine.  I don't remember if all the ecentric shafts have the bearing for the trans input shaft or not but I'm sure they all have the hole for it.

Bob
Bob

CLSSY56

High rev motor small package and weighs alot.  You would be better off with a SBC if you can squeaze it in there, as they make it into a few of the older RX-7s and they are alot faster.

http://www.grannysspeedshop.com
Tri-5 Chevy Paint Code, Picture, Forum & Info Web Site
http://www.Tri-5Chevy.com
**V562403** - eBay

Bib_Overalls

I had a Mazda rotary pickup once.  Went through the first engine before the waranty expired.  The second did not last much longer.  When it went I sawpped in a German made Capri/Mustang V6 and automatic.  It went forever.

I'd stay clear.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Devilrod

Maybe ask this question over on Oz Rodders forum (the new version of HRI) there seems to be a heap of Rotor boys signing on.

http://www.ozrodders.com/board/index.php
Speed and Style. One day I\'ll get the speed bit......

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"I may have a chance to pick up an mazda rx-7 that runs .  The car is an automatic tranny and the jatco trannys used in this cars were real turds.

Did Mazda do anything different on these engines between a manual & automatic? I don't want to buy the car and find out that crankshafts are different at the flywheel flange for manual & auotmatic.

I am doing a google search for Mazda information too.

This evening I pulled the engine from my Crosley wagon.  It's time to freshen up the running gear and get er driveable again.

you want a manual trans!?!?!

feasable to adapt a 200r4 or something like that?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"

you want a manual trans!?!?!

feasable to adapt a 200r4 or something like that?

Actually we have a setup at work that a power glide was adapted to the rotary motor using the roatary bell housing to the glide's pump bolts.  What that means is: only the glide will bolt up, a new adapter would be needed for a 200r4 or anything else.

This could be done easily in our shop , but the rotary motor is a turd ( no power) at low RPM.

I have learned that the price of the rx-7  car has gone up since 2 people are now asking about the car.  So I will move onto other ideas.

Any body got a datsun 5 speed -out of a  B210? ...  late 1970's to early 80's?  

New idea... :shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)