1997 4l60e question

Started by entodad, June 26, 2005, 03:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

entodad

I have a 1997 chevy blazer 4wd with a 4l60e tranny.  My wife burnt up the 3-4 clutch pack by not checking the tranny fluid and ultimately running it 4 quarts low.  I am in the middle of rebuilding it....this is my 2nd 700r4/4l60e rebuild.

I remember reading somewhere that this model needs to be upgraded somewhere in the valvebody to correct a low pressure problem that has plagued this model.  However I can't find this info again.  Am I dreaming that I read it?

Additionally anybody have recommendations about other upgrades to "wife proof" the tranny?

And finally, should I replace all the electronics as a preventative measure here, or is that a wise move?
Thanks,
Doug
WaChiss......(famous last hillbilly word)

Crosley.In.AZ

there is a multitude of items to upgrade on the 4L60E.

You need to buy a TransGo shift kit for the 4L60E that comes in an orange box.  Several important upgrades in the box

I would recommend a Z-Pak 3/4 kit by Raybestos.  All bushings should be replaced in this tranny

The 3/4 clutch pack has been a problem area since this tranny introduced in 1982, does not need to be low on fluid to wear the 3/4 pack out...... 4 quarts low on fluid , the vehicle should not have moved.

www.bulkpart.com  is good site to buy parts from. I've heard good things about them.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

entodad

Thanks for the info!
I had already upgraded the 3/4 pack,
The transgo shift kit was just picked up on ebay as per your recommendations
Thanks again
Doug

Oh yeah, I have purchased parts from bulkparts.com before and had no complaints.

58 Yeoman

You make your wife check the tranny fluid? :shock:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

entodad

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"You make your wife check the tranny fluid? :shock:
Lets just say that I won't make that mistake again. :lol:
From now on she is to take it to a jiffy lube every 3 months for a check up and oil change. Gotta be cheaper than rebuilding the tranny
Doug

Crosley.In.AZ

I looked the kit up on ebay.  Hopefully they send you the latest kit which is "L" ....

In the photo you can se the letter "J" on the instructions. Transgo is up to "L" now on the updates to the kit

Quote from: "entodad"Thanks for the info!
Thanks again
Doug

Oh yeah, I have purchased parts from bulkparts.com before and had no complaints.
Tony

entodad

I'll know in a couple of days for sure.
the vendor has been very good in the past.  Quick shipments, no * you around on shipping charges.  The rebuild parts I have bought before worked well.

Thanks again for the info Crosley.  If I do get the J kit what is the downside?
Doug

Quote from: "Crosley"I looked the kit up on ebay.  Hopefully they send you the latest kit which is "L" ....

In the photo you can se the letter "J" on the instructions. Transgo is up to "L" now on the updates to the kit

Quote from: "entodad"Thanks for the info!
Thanks again
Doug

Crosley.In.AZ

no real down side to the "J" kit.

TransGo changed the accumilator spring setup & the PWM replacement valve in the "L" kit .... that is what I remember off the top of my head
Tony

entodad

I picked the kit up today, it was the "L" kit.
Once that is installed, I will be installing the tranny
Thanks Again Crosley
Doug :D
Quote from: "Crosley"no real down side to the "J" kit.

TransGo changed the accumilator spring setup & the PWM replacement valve in the "L" kit .... that is what I remember off the top of my head