Wiring Problems

Started by timkins, March 08, 2004, 04:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timkins

I am having problems with the brake and turn signal fuses blowing on a Wire Works Fuse box in my 32 Sedan. Last night I took out and inspected evry inch of the wiring for the turn signals for both side without finding a problem. I put new fuses in today and have brake lights on the right side only, turn signals on ther right side and left front only and running lights on both the front and rear. When I put the brakes on the right side works but no the left. When I put on the left turn signal, the front works but not the rear. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I would check the grounds.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

SKR8PN

I would check the turn signal switch and related wiring.$.02
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

Dave

Quote from: "timkins"I am having problems with the brake and turn signal fuses blowing on a Wire Works Fuse box in my 32 Sedan. Last night I took out and inspected evry inch of the wiring for the turn signals for both side without finding a problem. I put new fuses in today and have brake lights on the right side only, turn signals on ther right side and left front only and running lights on both the front and rear. When I put the brakes on the right side works but no the left. When I put on the left turn signal, the front works but not the rear. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Check the switch in the column.. It could be bad. I had a similar problem years ago with a ford. Bad grounds dont normaly blow fuses but a short will.

58Apache

Sounds like you have isolated it to the left rear brake / turn signal circuit. They are the same in that the signal goes to the same element in the bulb for both turn signal and brake.

The problem could be at the light itself or at the turn signal...depending on where you connect up wires on that harness. That's just a guess from what you have said.

I'd get a multi-meter and check the wires to ground without power on first.

If that turns up nothing, then check for voltage at the turn signal wire, then the light in back.

What's baffling me is why you WERE blowing fuses, and now not. Unless it burned the short out (maybe a stray strand of wire at the socket or if you made wire connections near each other and not insulated well).

If things continue to not make sense remove the fuse box and look under it. I have seen some weird stuff happen out of sight under that fuse box.

Also, double check that rear left bulb. I am thinking there's a good chance it's blown now.

Steve

Bruce Dorsi

Hi, Tim!

I responded to your original post over at SRS, but we may as well continue it here.

Are you still blowing fuses, or are the lights just not working properly?

Based on what you describe, I suspect your problem is in the steering column turn-signal switch.

Do you have a connector at the end of the column harness?  
..... If so, try disconnecting that plug, and checking the turn-signal switch wires, for open circuits and/or shorts to ground.  
..... You will need to know which wires go where, so you can check for continuity where it should occur.

Did you have any luck at the Ron Francis website?
..... Someone said they have wiring diagrams there, but I didn't check.

Do you know which column is installed or the origin of the turn signal switch?  
...... If it is a GM switch, wire color codes are usually consistent, and we can probably help you here at the RRT.

Do you have a volt-ohm meter, and know how to use it?
...... If so, great!
...... If not, now is a good time to get one and learn how to use it. They are inexpensive and easy to use.    

I mention this as you may or may not be aware, but the brake light circuit also goes up the steering column and passes through the turn-sigal switch.

We're here to help!  ....If we can!

edit: { I'll have to learn to type faster, as you already got the same suggestions while I was typing a response!}
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Skip

Quote from: "timkins"have brake lights on the right side only, turn signals on ther right side and left front only and running lights on both the front and rear. When I put the brakes on the right side works but no the left. When I put on the left turn signal, the front works but not the rear. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The problem could be in the turn signal switch or just the bad bulb in the left rear or a broken wire in the left rear.

The turn signal switch arbitrates whether the signal flasher or the brake switch will control the rear lights.  If the switch is bad, you may not be able to pass current through it to the rear of the vehicle.

To see if it's the switch or not, simply connect a jumper from the left rear signal post on the Wireworks panel to one of the posts that has battery voltage on it.  If the bulb lights up, the wiring's good and the switch is bad.  If it DOESN'T, the wiring or bulb is at fault.
Skip

Early Hemi SME
Hot Rod Wiring Consulting

Pope Downunder

Good advice from other people here, but I'll throw in my $0.02 worth.

I assume you have repro rear lights. If they are anything like the ones I've had, the insulation between the wiring and the body could be marginal. This is inside where the wire feeds through the bulb retainer base.  It can easily create a dead short, or an intermittent fault.  On these I always (now) add some insulation, like shrink tubing.

timkins

Thanks to all for suggestions and advice. I think I have isolated the problem to a short in the steering wheel. I got all the light backs on and working until I turned the steering wheel and experienced blown fuses and no light again. When I think back to the previous times this happened, it was when I was turning and had my left signal on. Now onto the job of pulling the steering wheel and isolating and then fixing the problem. Again thanks to all for advice and suggestions.

timkins

:D  Yep! it was the yellow wire come from the turn signal module in the steering column that was frayed and shorting to the inside of the metal steering column. On to the next problem.