Vacuum pump and can questions...

Started by efingstein, June 24, 2005, 09:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

efingstein

I really think I'm going to need a Vac. pump and resivoir for my power brake setup. I'm going to try it with manifold vac first. If I use a vac. pump, does it hook directly to the booster or should I run it to a resivoir first? Any good suggestions on mounting locations? I'm thinking closer to the booster the better. Am I right?
Every man should forcibly leave his steel toe boot print on the face of history.

jaybee

Quote from: "efingstein"I really think I'm going to need a Vac. pump and resivoir for my power brake setup. I'm going to try it with manifold vac first. If I use a vac. pump, does it hook directly to the booster or should I run it to a resivoir first? Any good suggestions on mounting locations? I'm thinking closer to the booster the better. Am I right?

I think reservoir.  At the very least you help to buffer any fluctuations in vacuum and maybe even prevent running out of vacuum if you pump the brakes.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "efingstein"I really think I'm going to need a Vac. pump and resivoir for my power brake setup. I'm going to try it with manifold vac first. If I use a vac. pump, does it hook directly to the booster or should I run it to a resivoir first? Any good suggestions on mounting locations? I'm thinking closer to the booster the better. Am I right?

I would try a factory resivoir with a check valve between the resivoir and the vacuum sorce.  Factory ones are different shapes, cylinder and sphere.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

efingstein

From the info I can gather, the pump turns on at 15" of Hg and off at 20" of Hg. I have also seen a tee at the booster fitting with one side going to the manifold and the other going to the pump.
Every man should forcibly leave his steel toe boot print on the face of history.

Phat

It will work both ways. Handycap vans have em but of late there are putting a can on them too.  They use them incase the motor shuts off and no vac for the hand controls.
Hey pretty soon you can have electric steering and A/C too. :D
Old racers go in deep and come out hard

efingstein

Quote from: "Phat"Hey pretty soon you can have electric steering

I can barely keep tranny fluid in the PS res. long enough for regular power steering!!!