5 speed behind 454 Chevy?

Started by Filo, June 16, 2005, 10:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Filo

I have another question for the panel.

I'd like to run a 5 speed stick behind the 454 I have for my 32. The engine is a stock crate motor with bolt on speed parts. Can a Camaro or Mustang t5 work behind a 454 or is there a better 5 speed to use?

Charlie Chops 1940

I'd beooking at a Richmond 5 speed in order to handle the torque produced, I know there are T-5's out there that are tough, but I don't think they come stock behind 350's and 302's. My $.02 worth.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Filo"I have another question for the panel.

I'd like to run a 5 speed stick behind the 454 I have for my 32. The engine is a stock crate motor with bolt on speed parts. Can a Camaro or Mustang t5 work behind a 454 or is there a better 5 speed to use?

I have a friend who runs an S 10 5 speed behind a pretty hot big block in an old chevy truck.  He has busted a couple of them but he claims it is because at his age, his left foot and his right hand do not work well together and it is not the fault of the transmission.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Pope Downunder

I wouldn't put a T5.
Look into the Tremec TKO
info here; http://www.hanlonmotorsports.com/

flt-blk

I agree with the TKO or a Richmond.  that way you know you won't break it.
Philosophy of hot rods
The welder is the Yin and the Grinder is the Yang

Mr Cool

There are a few options along with the several already mentioned.
Anyone thought about the Getrag box? Cheap, and reliable enough to use behind race engines.
What about the toyota boxes (steel cased ones - Carps where are you??), would they be strong enough?
Doubt the T5 would be strong enough for the torque of a BB.
Im nobody, right?
And dont forget, nobody\'s perfect.

sirstude

I really like the Richmond I put in my Impala.  Shifts nice, and runs quiet.  The thing to remember is that 5th gear is not overdrive, I am running a 2.56 rear, so sure wouldn't want the overdrive.  They do make an overdrive unit, but it is the 6 speed, and another grand.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"

I have a friend who runs an S 10 5 speed behind a pretty hot big block in an old chevy truck.  He has busted a couple of them but he claims it is because at his age, his left foot and his right hand do not work well together and it is not the fault of the transmission.

I have a stock S 10 tranny behind a fairly hot small block, in an 83 S 10 4x4,  it won't stand alot of abuse, thats why the Mrs. drives it  :shock:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

studecoupe

Try a NV4500 5 speed manual out of a 1995 or newer chevy/gmc k1500 or larger truck.  You might not want the granny 1st gear, but this is an almost unbreakable transmission that has a nice overdrive ratio on 5th.  It is rated to tow like 14,000lbs?  It is about 200 lbs though, and iron cased.  With the granny 1st you could run a really tall rear end ratio.

Check www.car-part.com and I think you might be able to get the complete setup with flywheel, bellhousing, and shifter for 600-1000?

I have one of these transmissions in my gmc 4x4, and all I can say is it is very heavy duty!  It holds about 5 quarts of oil!