Florida title for street rod

Started by docchevy, June 16, 2005, 06:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

docchevy

The '34 is finished!  Now I need to title it.  I bought the body from a guy who supplied me with an MOS.  The people told me that it had to be titled by the man who bought it.  I bought a reg. and bill of sale from Vintage Titles and took it to the MVD and they wanted to check to see the VIN ON THE CAR.  Obviously that ain't goin' to happen!  They said that there is an assembler title in Florida but I fear that since what happened to me up north 40 years ago.  Any advise?
Remember; Physics explains everything!

Dave

Quote from: "docchevy"The '34 is finished!  Now I need to title it.  I bought the body from a guy who supplied me with an MOS.  The people told me that it had to be titled by the man who bought it.  I bought a reg. and bill of sale from Vintage Titles and took it to the MVD and they wanted to check to see the VIN ON THE CAR.  Obviously that ain't goin' to happen!  They said that there is an assembler title in Florida but I fear that since what happened to me up north 40 years ago.  Any advise?

Ya send it to me here in michigan ill get it titled and send you the title when I get it. The only deal is you will have to pay tax in both states to eventually get it in your name. It all depends on how much you want to claim the first time for the first title I usually go a couple grand then they dont even bat an eye here. The the second is for your fla title. they are going to want to know how much you bought it from me for. Still unless you stamp the frame with the vin you have they wont be able to look for one. If they still want to. Im assuming the reg and and bill of sale you bought was prolly a N.Y. deal ? They work real well here. The end result would be a current  title on your car from my state. so they prolly wont even ask to see the vin..
If I can help just PM me.. Its been a year since I did my 32 and no problems when I did that. I wont be here tomorrow but ill be here all day saturday to check my email and pm's.. Gone sunday to a show...
Dave

phat rat

Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Dave

Quote from: "phat rat"Dave, you going to Hastings?

Yes sir.. My brother will prolly be there fore me but im a goin....
Dave

EMSjunkie

Hey Johnny  :D   :D

Glad to see you made it over here.

tell the fellers here a little about yourself.

If it hadn't been for Johns help, my Street Beast would now be
a pile of melted fiberglass  :shock:

Thanks for the help John, and welcome aboard the board!!

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

docchevy

Right, Dave!  It's a NY deal.  It went through slick as a whiz in Illinois but the FL DMV even went out and verified the VIN on my Camaro that had been here before!  Anybody that cautious has to be devious.  They even went outside to check my old van!  I'm afraid they will still want to see the VIN.  How does one fake that?

docchevy

Thanks, Vance!
    You're right they are a nice bunch of guys.  
    I rubbed out the rod until my fingers hurt today.  A few touch ups and it will be perfect.  I'm debating whether to take it to a show Sunday.  It's more of a tuner show but it covers all venues.  Only one bite so far.

paul2748

Go out and buy a set of number dies and stamp the vin on the NY title on the chassis.  If there is an old vin, bondo it and paint over.

chopped

Couple ways to get the Vin checked. Easiest is if you know someone at a car dealer, you get a form at DMV and the girl in the auto dealer signs off on it. Just stamp the vin somewhere,  You will also need to get the car weighed. They just started the weight thing.

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "docchevy"Thanks, Vance!
    You're right they are a nice bunch of guys.  
    I rubbed out the rod until my fingers hurt today.  A few touch ups and it will be perfect.  I'm debating whether to take it to a show Sunday.  It's more of a tuner show but it covers all venues.  Only one bite so far.

Your welcome John. glad I could steer you here.
they are a great bunch of guys, and gals.

put it in the show, I know they are all political, but still.....
you built it, be proud of it.

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

docchevy

Quote from: "paul2748"Go out and buy a set of number dies and stamp the vin on the NY title on the chassis.  If there is an old vin, bondo it and paint over.
Sounds like a plan.  I have the form from the DMV.  I will stamp the numbers and then take it to the dealership that  my son-in-law works for.  Maybe I can swing an angle there.  thanks a bunch!
Doc

Goodfoot

In Florida you need to have the VIN # on the title "permanetly" attatched to the vehicle in two places, the body and on the frame. A cop can verify and sign the paperwork. I had my son who is a sherrif sign off my paperwork and had no problem with registering my roadster with the out of state original title. I did this just over a year ago. I made and pop rivited two stainless steel plates with the VIN number to the firewall and the frame.

docchevy

Quote from: "Goodfoot"In Florida you need to have the VIN # on the title "permanetly" attatched to the vehicle in two places, the body and on the frame. A cop can verify and sign the paperwork. I had my son who is a sherrif sign off my paperwork and had no problem with registering my roadster with the out of state original title. I did this just over a year ago. I made and pop rivited two stainless steel plates with the VIN number to the firewall and the frame.
Thanks for the suggestion.  I will do that!

docchevy

It worked!  The deputy didn't even look at the car.  She just radioed-in to see if it had been stolen (on a New York registration?).  I just got back from the DMV.  Igot the title and plates.  Thanks.

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "docchevy"It worked!  The deputy didn't even look at the car.  She just radioed-in to see if it had been stolen (on a New York registration?).  I just got back from the DMV.  Igot the title and plates.  Thanks.

Good for you Johnny  :D  :D

going thru the same thing here in TX. sent off for my paperwork Tuesday.

hope it goes smooth, but knowing my luck  :x

how many miles you got on the Bullit?
just rolled 350 on mine last night  :shock:

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders