1930 Low Ka$h Update

Started by Low Ka$h, June 15, 2005, 11:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Low Ka$h

Hi,

Thought Id post a couple pics of the progress so far on the 30 Chevy Sedan.  It's been a while since the last post ---> http://www.roddingroundtable.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1483.

I have been super busy the past couple months so I did a lot of figuring, but not much welding.  Well, I finally got some free time and started on the frame.  Below are the picks of the frame so far.  I will be making the control arms this weekend, and then we should have a roller.  Anyway, take a look at the frame.

Tell me what you think...
More pics coming...

Adam

GPster

I'm somewhat confused by the first picture. Your original plan called for you building some kind of 3 link set-up for the rear suspension but accross the rearend looks like one of those trailer springs you were talking about. On the front in parralell a pair might be ok and as a pair the 4 leaf variety might be good for 2400 lbs.. Half of the pair would only be 12oo lbs. and loaded and as short as they are you might as well weld the rearend solid to the frame. Go back and see George and talk him out of a pair of Corvair front coil springs. When you talk about 3 bar set-up I would think that you should be thinking 2 on the bottom 1 on the top and a panhard bar. Is the rearend going to sit that far back from the "Z"? If it does than it looks like you're going for the sedan delivery look with a raised back floor and a front seat only. I like the idea of function and no creature comforts. GPster

nzsimon

Not being entirely sure on the result desired but it occures to me shouldn't there be a gap down the middle for the driveshaft ?
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true

Low Ka$h

Thanks for the replys.  

GPster, I understand what you are saying.  I ended up changing my mind about the three link and am going with a four link design.  The trailer spring is pretty stout.  I plan on having very little movement in the rear so im hoping that the single spring is good enough for what I am going for.  When I decided to use just the single spring, I was concerned with the load rate of the spring and how it would handle.  My father and I built a trailer a while back and used the same springs.  With a load, it rides really well.  That's why I decided to use those.  Also you don't see to many single spring setups.  If the spring doesn't work to my likings, I'll end up putting on coil overs and a panhard bar.  For the front, I think it'll be oK!?!

As for where the "Z" is and the axle, yes, im going for the sedan look.   I still want the four doors (will require some mods to the rears to fit around my tires), but I won't have a back seat.  Just two built in buckets.  The "Z" ends up right behind the center door post.

nzsimon,  With my plans for nothing to be below the bottom of the frame rails required me to raise the engine a little which puts the driveshaft entirely above the "X" in the frame.  My driveshaft hump in the floor will also end up being my armrest.

Going for something very simplistic, loud and annoying.  And something a little bit different from the rest.  

Thanks again for the replys.  Keep 'em coming...
Adam aka "Low Ka$h"

more pics coming soon...

nzsimon

continueing in the teaching to suck eggs vein make sure you engineer in some sort of styrdy driveshaft loops as while it cant hit the pavement if you lose a front universal the driveshaft will try and attack you
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true

Low Ka$h

Little update.  Worked on the rod this weekend.  got the front end sittin' on wheels and the 500 Kaddy locked in at the proper "Eiffel Tower" height.  :twisted:  Everything was fab'ed and welded by me.  Still staying under the Low Ka$h budget.  

I don't have the shocks on yet.  I got a kinda unique idea for that.  Let me know what you think.  Or maybe something I might have over looked.

-Adam

purplepickup

Well Adam....based on the lack of responses you got, I think everyone thinks you're crazy. :shock:   I know you......they might be right.  :wink:  

Based on all the other stuff you do I know you're not a follower and always thinking out of the box.  Keep those updates coming.

I'll have to stop over and see this beast :D
George