punch the louver

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, June 14, 2005, 12:09:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I need to punch / cut/ hammer 10 louvers into the pictured belly pan.  Any suggestions beside building a louver press?

It is a belly pan for my motorcycle , simply to help protect the bottom of the motor.  I'd like to punch some louvers in the pan to let heat get out a bit better

I got a quote from a local guy.  75 bux$ minimum charge.  Seemed a bit high for 10 louvers.

In the photo..... the 10 short lines are where I'd like the louvers.. or close to that I would think it would work well.

In the photo is the bottom side.  The lines would need to be transfered to the top of the pan for pressing if I understand how the process works.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

I've done louvers by hand. First you make a female form, nothing fancy, just the shape you want the out of the louver to be, with a 6 penny nail on each corner, with the heads cut off. And a male lover punch. these should all be hardwood, or aluminum, but for 10 louvers, hardwood will do.

Drill a hole 1/16" at each end of your lines, and carefilly cut between the holes with a 1/16" cutoff wheel. Drop the holes over the nails in the form to hold it in place, and smack the punch into the female die with a mallet. A couple to practice, and you can do passible louvers with one or two hits.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

unklian

A small part like that would be easy to ship.
There has got to be someone somewhere with another louver press.

Charlie Chops 1940

Tony,

I have a louver press - 1", 2" and 3" louvers. Sendit to me I'll whack 'em for ya. E-mail me.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Crosley.In.AZ

sent you a PM....

your email addy is hidden on this board

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Tony,

I have a louver press - 1", 2" and 3" louvers. Sendit to me I'll whack 'em for ya. E-mail me.

Charlie
Tony

Fat Cat

Quote from: "Crosley"sent you a PM....

There is a email link at the bottom of his post that takes you to a email form that will send him an email. It is right next to the PM and Profile Links.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Fat Cat"

There is a email link at the bottom of his post that takes you to a email form that will send him an email. It is right next to the PM and Profile Links.

========= I only see the PM , Friend, Profile links at the base of his post.  I looked in his profile also

Do I need to clik on the "Friend" link?

I guess not , the Friend link did nothing for email
Tony

Charlie Chops 1940

Tony, sent you a PM.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

A Hooligan!

nzsimon

You could always just cut slots , a hole at each end and join em up that would be free but even then be more than $75 worth of time
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true

Dave

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Tony,

Charlie
Thats a hell of a deal I think he wanted like 1500.00 to do thhe hood on my 32.  :lol:  He did say he would deal though :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Dave
ps: After I priced new rootlieb side panels it really wasnt practical to strip mine and run all the way to muskogee ? to have Charlie do em.

Charlie Chops 1940

Thats a hell of a deal I think he wanted like 1500.00 to do thhe hood on my 32.  :lol:  He did say he would deal though :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Dave
ps: After I priced new rootlieb side panels it really wasnt practical to strip mine and run all the way to muskogee ? to have Charlie do em.

You get what ya pay for...if you wanna settle for Rootlieb louvers (LOL).

Charlie

A Hooligan!

sawzall

here's how I did it..

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5581

for what its worth some prick on ebay copy'ed / "improved" on my design and was selling something similar..

I have a few hours in this.. but it works pretty well

sawzall

MilesM

Chip, a freind of Steve at Industrial Chassis punches louvers for a unit price. Sorry I can not remember what that is but Steve would know. Give them a call.
Miles

Quote from: "Crosley"I need to punch / cut/ hammer 10 louvers into the pictured belly pan.  Any suggestions beside building a louver press?

It is a belly pan for my motorcycle , simply to help protect the bottom of the motor.  I'd like to punch some louvers in the pan to let heat get out a bit better

I got a quote from a local guy.  75 bux$ minimum charge.  Seemed a bit high for 10 louvers.

In the photo..... the 10 short lines are where I'd like the louvers.. or close to that I would think it would work well.

In the photo is the bottom side.  The lines would need to be transfered to the top of the pan for pressing if I understand how the process works.

Crosley.In.AZ

You are correct.  I got Chip's name from a long time friend

I talked to Chip.  75 bux minimum. He offered to do the louvers as I waited.

I have the belly pan shipped off by fed-x to Chuck.

with return shipping I will not have much $$ in the louvers.  This is one reason why I really like this board and the folks on it.

Quote from: "MilesM"Chip, a freind of Steve at Industrial Chassis punches louvers for a unit price. Sorry I can not remember what that is but Steve would know. Give them a call.
Miles

Tony

Charlie Chops 1940

I'm watching for it and will turn it around ASAP. probably the day I get it.

The nice thing about not being in the "bidness" of hot rods is that a guy can do these things. I bought my louver press to do the almost 500 louvers on my track roadster pickup at my leisure, and then the duece roadster I'm doing next...I've sold a few louvers and I've given some away. I'd like to get paid for enough at $1.50 each to pay for it, but I'm trying not to be fanatical about it. Fact is, layout time is close to louver time on a '56 Ford hood, for instance, but a guy can't go through life counting everything.

Charlie

A Hooligan!