Would a 56 olds motor and hydro trans be too heavy for a mus

Started by junkyardjeff, June 11, 2005, 01:12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

Since I decided to put a mustang II under my 37 chevy p/u I will be using a motor I have in stock to replace the 235,I have a rebuilt 56 olds 324 with a 4 speed hydro that I would like to use but I am worried that it might be too heavy.   If its too heavy I will use the 302 from my 92 F150 and a AOD I have in the shed but the olds only needs a couple of parts to complete.  Jeff

Uncle Bob

Depending on engine accessories, manifolds, etc. the Olds published weight would be something around 50# more than the 235.  

There's a lot of yada yada about the MII being too light weight (strength wise) for "heavier" cars/trucks.  Couple things to consider there.  One is that the heaviest of the Mustang II's were somewhere around 35-3600 # gross weight, never saw one collapsed on the side of the road.  The other is that in it's original config the MII's engine weight was pretty much centered over the spindle centerline .  In normal rod type installations the weight center is further back.  

That weight center may also play in your application if you install the engine flywheel near the same location as the stock six was, as the Olds will be shorter than the six.

The Hydro is going to be heavier than just about any trans you likely have now, but again, the weight is further back thus sharing some of the load carrying with the rear suspension.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

phat rat

This week-end at Indy Alloway had a 60 Impala there with an Mustang type set-up in it. I thought that was a bit much though.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

efingstein

I think you're fine. I've got a 51 Merc with a 66 buick 425 in it. I drive it reasonably hard and haven't had a problem yet. But, I just have a few hundred miles on it though.
Every man should forcibly leave his steel toe boot print on the face of history.

crash

Keep in mind that when people refer to having a MII frontend, Unless you are using a boneyard stock setup, they are refering to an aftermarket assembly using the MII suspension geometry. What is on the market today is 30 plus years of technology advancements using tubular A arms, coilovers or airbags, boxed crossmembers, R&P steering, etc, etc. and as mentioned the weight distribution off of the front end is a factor.  Most of the failure issues you hear about are from not being properly installed or maintained.

enjenjo

Another thing to consider, the Mustang front was way overbuilt as far as wheel bearings  and ball joints. They are much stronger than you would expect. The wheel bearings are the same size as many intermediate and full size cars.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.