Anyone own a Featherlite trailer??

Started by 40, June 11, 2005, 12:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I need to buy a trailer......Have had a variety of both open and enclosed trailers over the years but have never owned an Aluminum trailer.My 34' Holiday Rambler travel trailer has an aluminum frame....it is very lightweight for 34' and pulls extremely well.The cost of aluminum compared to steel is about double for a similar trailer....just wondering if it's worth the extra $$$?? I know,I know.....just drive it  :P ,but.....I need a trailer to haul material for work as well as my cars on occasion.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Crosley.In.AZ

I own a 1990 Featherlite car trailer.  I like the trailer.  

I've hauled PVC pipe to 3 pallets of roof shingles, shop equipment , car hoist.  I can't imagine being without this trailer

A steel trailer with wood floor will take more rough stuff depending on what you haul and how you load stuff on it.

If I ever buy another trailer it will be aluminum.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

btrc

Daryle,
  I know those Texas Roll Back trailers are spendy but you just can't beat the loading angle.  On both of my cars you have to fight dragging the bottom when you load them on a conventional trailer with ramps, but with the roll back there is just no problem.  Their aluminum version is becoming the most popular.
 That being said, I think the Featherlite is probably a very good conventional style trailer too.  Plus they are a good customer of ours as they bought a bunch of step deck trailers from us last year to haul parts for the trailers they build.

Bob
Bob

Glen

Quote from: "Crosley"I own a 1990 Featherlite car trailer.  I like the trailer.  

You should consider renting that trailer out?

:D

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Glen"
Quote from: "Crosley"I own a 1990 Featherlite car trailer.  I like the trailer.  

You should consider renting that trailer out?

:D

========== LOL

I loaned the trailer on two separate occasions several years ago. Stuff got broke once, parts were replaced after I asked for them.

Second time involved one blown tire  ( sidewall ripped out) with a  bent wheel.  My friend (?) tried to tell me the tire blew out and bent the wheel at the rim edge. Oddly though it looked like the tire/wheel hit something square ..... a  curb ?..... :shock:

Now I don't loan the trailer .

I do haul cars for friends when asked.

8)
Tony

Thanks for the input.I narrowed it down to Featherlite and Texas Rollback and after looking at both this morning,bought a 20' Aluminum Texas Rollback.Bob,Dale should give you a sales commission or at the very least buy you lunch :wink: I liked both trailers....the Rollback was more money but as pointed out,much easier to load.I guess the real deciding factor was the length.....the longest Featherlite measured only 17' 6" and I think I'll like the 20' much better.Now,if it will just quit raining long enough for me to make enough money to pay for it :roll:
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "40"Thanks for the input.I narrowed it down to Featherlite and Texas Rollback and after looking at both this morning,bought a 20' Aluminum Texas Rollback.

Bob,Dale should give you a sales commission or at the very least buy you lunch :wink: I liked both trailers....the Rollback was more money but as pointed out,much easier to load.I guess the real deciding factor was the length.....the longest Featherlite measured only 17' 6" and I think I'll like the 20' much better.Now,if it will just quit raining long enough for me to make enough money to pay for it :roll:

I think you will be real happy with the roll back trailer.  I have seen them in action, work nice

if I could sell my trailer for enough money I'd buy a roll back unit.  :wink:

hmmmmmm , Glen may need a trailer.
Tony

btrc

I think you'll be really happy with the trailer you got.  I'm lucky enough to have 2 friends that have them, 3 now :), so I have been able to use them quite a lot and they really make loading a lot easier.  I know what Crosley is talking about with the loaning as I have borrowed these trailers too much and I am in a total panic nearly all the time I'm pulling one in fear I will damage it in some way.  I would pay to fix it but still I'd feel bad.  
I was planning to build a roll back trailer but I may just buy one instead in a few months.  My wife is saying we need a lower trailer to haul hay bales on so it looks like an aluminum roll back may be a needed farm expense.

Bob
Bob

Glen

Quote from: "Crosley"hmmmmmm , Glen may need a trailer.

Yes I would like a trailer but I dont want to have to store it, thats the only thing that has kept me from buying one.  I could never find one that the Buick would fit on either.  They were always too narrow.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Glen"
Quote from: "Crosley"hmmmmmm , Glen may need a trailer.

Yes I would like a trailer but I dont want to have to store it, thats the only thing that has kept me from buying one.  I could never find one that the Buick would fit on either.  They were always too narrow.

======== I have hauled a 1970 Eldorado on my trailer.  That is a large car.  Heavy too

:shock:
Tony

phat rat

you'd be suprised at how narrow they can be. I was thinking mine was wider than what it is, it's 78" and I've had 70's Cadillacs, Suburbans and  even a 52 Ford F-5 flatbed with a dump on mine
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.