Chevy Small Block Motor Mount Question

Started by seadog, June 04, 2005, 11:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadog

I find myself in need of moving the motor mounts back about two inches on my deuce 5 window project in order to get fan clearance.  I'm using a ZZ4 crate motor, here's the question.  I need to pick up a bare block from the junk yard to use in mocking up the new mounts.  What year block should I look for?  Are all late model small blocks going to be the same as my ZZ4, or do I need to look for a specific year or year range?
Thanks.

soldermonkey

Seadog you need a 1958 or later block. Any small block Chevy with the mounts on the side will fit your needs.

Good luck

dave

crash

Depending on how often you do frame mockups, you might consider one of those plastic blocks. Not sure of the cost but just an Idea.

seadog

Quote from: "soldermonkey"Seadog you need a 1958 or later block. Any small block Chevy with the mounts on the side will fit your needs.

Good luck

dave

Thanks for the info.  I considered a styrofoam block, but since they want $300 for a short block I decided to see if I could find one at a junk yard.  I have a line on one for considerably less.  Thanks again for the help guys.

EMSjunkie

If you are anywhere near the TX Panhandle, I've got a bare block you can
have, just come get it!  :D

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

seadog

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"If you are anywhere near the TX Panhandle, I've got a bare block you can
have, just come get it!  :D

Vance

Thanks, wish I could take you up on the offer, but I'm in NC.

Bib_Overalls

Engine rebuild shops typically set their used up blocks aside untill they have enough to justify a trip to the recycler.   Place near here loaned me a block once.  But they will usually sell one for their scrap value.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

HemiDeuce

Did your ZZ4 block come with a long water pump?  Would switching to a short water pump give you enought room for a fan without moving the engine.

seadog

Quote from: "HemiDeuce"Did your ZZ4 block come with a long water pump?  Would switching to a short water pump give you enought room for a fan without moving the engine.

Already considered that, it came with a short pump.  Thanks.