Trans update 1958 Corvette

Started by 30 Sedan, May 31, 2005, 08:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

30 Sedan

I have a close friend who is finishing a frame off on a 1958 Vette. He has replaced the original frame with a new aftermarket one and is beginning re assembly. He would like to replace the original 4 speed with a 5 speed but is not sure of the correct one so that the length is correct and the shifter will remain in the same location on the interior. Any suggestions on successful installations or models and years that would fit the bill would really be appreciated.

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "30 Sedan"I have a close friend who is finishing a frame off on a 1958 Vette. He has replaced the original frame with a new aftermarket one and is beginning re assembly. He would like to replace the original 4 speed with a 5 speed but is not sure of the correct one so that the length is correct and the shifter will remain in the same location on the interior. Any suggestions on successful installations or models and years that would fit the bill would really be appreciated.

You can get a Tremec with the Chev input shaft and bolt pattern that will bolt up.  They have three alternative shifter locations so one should be close.  http://www.darkhorseperformance.com/

Depending on power you could go with a Camaro V8 T5, although these may need a  tailhousing conversion.
http://www.moderndriveline.com/index.htm

I have a T5 here that I am fitting a S10 tailhousing to, so if you want some measurements, let me know.

You could make a TVR style shifter, or buy one, and put the shifter precisely where you want it.  This place in the UK wrecks TVRs
Steve Strange
+44 01257 472866
www.douglasvalley.co.uk
steve@douglasvalley.co.uk

30 Sedan

Thanks Pope for all the info.,just what we were looking for. Will contact your suggested sources.

Charlie Chops 1940

The T-5 shifter location conversion works good but I'm thinking therw isn't room in the Corvette tranny tunnel for that mechanism. I had a '62 for half a lifetime and seems the tranny almost rubbed the tunnel top.  Take a look at Richmond 5 speeds as they have a side mount shifter like a T-10 or Muncie. The trans may be too long though and there isn't a lot of room in the X-member to spare.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

30 Sedan

Thanks Charlie I'll pass this on.

enjenjo

I have a buddy with a 57, he has an LT1, and a six speed in it. He had to do extensive modification to the floor to clear the trans, but it sure looks nice done. :lol:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.