37 ford fender braces?

Started by toad32, March 06, 2004, 08:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toad32

Ok guys here is a stupid one for you.  I have a Gibbons 37 and was wondereing if the front fenders needed or should have fender braces.  Did the front on the originals have them... I'm just not sure.  How was that for a lack of knowledge question.

Carter

tom36

Well, I know 36's do so I guess 37  must also . You need something to stiffen up the rear skirt area of the fender to keep it from vibrating and cracking.  Steel or glass.  Tom..

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "toad32"Ok guys here is a stupid one for you.  I have a Gibbons 37 and was wondereing if the front fenders needed or should have fender braces.  Did the front on the originals have them... I'm just not sure.  How was that for a lack of knowledge question.

Carter
There is a formed lightweight channel section that supports the fender behind the wheel.  
There are a couple of braces (~3/8" rod with forged ends) that bolt from the front crossmember up on angles to support the inner fenders near the lights.
There is also a brace that braces the grill connecting the two fender supports behind the grill and in front of the radiator.
All these are available repro, from Drake and others.

I think they all should be used, or replaced with something similar.

348tripower

I agree with  needing fender braces. I had my 37 together for about 3 years without them. I only had the aftermarket stone guards in the rear section of all four fenders. The front fenders were cracking form vibration and they would move around quite a bit. I made my own braces from 1/2" square tubing by flatting the ends out and bending and twisting to the desired angles. Mine are by no means like the stock brackets, but are very functional and not too bad looking. I am going to use the same approach on my 35. I do have the stock headlight/ fender braces that amazingly fit up to the Chevy Luv trck frame, but I can see where a couple more braces would be better. I have glass fenders for this car and I don't think they should be flapping around in the breeze. Just my opinion! :b-d:
Don Colliau