Your Opinions Please!!

Started by 40, May 18, 2005, 09:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well,As you can see by the photos of my 36 in an earlier post,the dash,garnish mouldings and steering column have yet to be painted.It's a no-brainer that the garnish mouldings will be painted to match the interior but my dilema is whether to paint the column and dash interior color or paint it black to match the exterior???It will have a color-coordinated banjo wheel,the gauges will be Beige faced Classic's w/red pointer and chrome bezels.What do you think????
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

moparrodder

Quote from: "40"Well,As you can see by the photos of my 36 in an earlier post,the dash,garnish mouldings and steering column have yet to be painted.It's a no-brainer that the garnish mouldings will be painted to match the interior but my dilema is whether to paint the column and dash interior color or paint it black to match the exterior???It will have a color-coordinated banjo wheel,the gauges will be Beige faced Classic's w/red pointer and chrome bezels.What do you think????

Boy, Daryle that's gonna be a tough one.  In my opinion I believe that if you paint the dash red to match everything else it may be too much red and the black dash with the beige faced gauges would be a pleasant contrast, but remember this is just my opinion and what ever way you do it  is how you would want the coupe to reflect your vision of how it should be and will be a very sweet rod to go cruzin with!!!    Bill

Uncle Bob

I've got the garnish moldings, dash, and wheel in red on my '40, but the rest of the upholstery is white.  It works well.  

I agree that in your case a red dash and column would probably be a bit much.  I did the dash and column in my '36 roadster in body color and it's a good look.  The beige face gauges will work well with the black too.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

32coupe

I have the dash, garnish moulds and column all painted body color, and it looks great. You have to break up the colors a bit.
Too much red is not a good thing.
If you can\'t fix it with a hammer, you\'ve got an electrical problem

sal37

My vote would be for the body color dash, may be with some pinstripping just to add a highlight.  

Steve

btrc

Daryle,
  I vote for body color on the dash and column.  That's what I have in mine.  I think it ties the interior into the exterior.

Bob
Bob

cre8tor

My opinion,Because your interior is traditional Paint the column and dash body colour, if your guages have chrome rings ect it will look sweet.
At the end of the day as long as your happy thats the main thing.
:D

Cheers,

Mark.

enjenjo

Be real retro, woodgrain the dash and garnish molding
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tom36

I think I would go body color (black)  for the dash and column, with some red pinstriping on the dash.  I think everything red would overwhelm you.  I have 3 36's ( 2 with 40 dashes)  all done different. One dash I woodgrained part of and body color  the rest with wood grained garnish mouldings.  The cabriolet I'm building now will have a red interior and dash and garnish mouldings will be body color. I also have a 5 window coupe with everything woodgrained.  
I think your interior came out great!   Tom..

beatnik

Check out Street Rodder this month for reference, there's a 35 in there that was at the Louisville nats, and it's interior is all red with no contrast.
If I have to explain it to you, You really wouldn?t understand

Thanks for the comments! Frank...The only woodgrain I can afford is the stick-on type from Walmart!
Tom,Those are some wicked rides.....I take it you like 36's!
I was leaning tward body color for the dash/column and you guys have convinced me that's the way to go....THANKS!!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

DrJ

Quote from: "40"Well,As you can see by the photos of my 36 in an earlier post,the dash,garnish mouldings and steering column have yet to be painted.It's a no-brainer that the garnish mouldings will be painted to match the interior but my dilema is whether to paint the column and dash interior color or paint it black to match the exterior???It will have a color-coordinated banjo wheel,the gauges will be Beige faced Classic's w/red pointer and chrome bezels.What do you think????

With those guages, Woodgrain the dash and garnish moldings.
The upholstery is red? If so maybe a red mahogony woodgraining would look good.
Your woodgrainer should get an upholstery sample to coordinate colors to in any case

Roadstar

I would paint the dash and everything else red to match the interior. If you paint it black you will date the car.

But don't use gloss red. Use base or matte clear to give it a look of material.

The pic Gus shows is what I am talking about. I saw that car in  L'ville last year, it was awesome. It was done by an interior guy too.

Dirk35

Black to match exterior and to contrast the interior.

chopper

Yeah... I'd vote for black also, I never went for that monochrome style.
Chopper