Wheel backspacing

Started by EMSjunkie, May 17, 2005, 11:02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EMSjunkie

Its getting about time to think about wheels for the Coupe.

I have looked at a couple of sites, searched the archives, and talked to a couple of the local tire dudes, and still don't know squat  :?

surely there is a simple  accurate way to measure for proper backspacing.
I am running MII ifs with disc brakes, and 8.8" rear with drums.

would like to run 14's up front and 15's or 16's out back.

really want to get it right the first time.
don't want to spend a chunk for wheels I can't use  :x

Thanks for any info.

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

midnight sun

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"Its getting about time to think about wheels for the Coupe.

I have looked at a couple of sites, searched the archives, and talked to a couple of the local tire dudes, and still don't know squat  :?

Thanks for any info.

Vance

Check out these two websites:

http://www.usacomp.com/Offset.htm

http://www.stocktonwheel.com/orderform.htm

Later
How can there be "self help" groups :?:

midnight sun

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"Its getting about time to think about wheels for the Coupe.

Thanks for any info.

Vance

Heres one more to check out:

http://team3wheels.com/et/help.html

Later
How can there be "self help" groups :?:

Olderndirt2

Thanks for any info.

Vance

I went to America's Tire Company (Wheels Vintique Dealer) and they did all the measuring. They said if they don't fit we just send 'em back 'til we get it right. The wheels fit fine the first time out. ATC handles many different mfr.'s wheels.

Olderndirt2

Thanks for any info.

Vance

I went to America's Tire Company (Wheels Vintique Dealer) and they did all the measuring. They said if they don't fit we just send 'em back 'til we get it right. The wheels fit fine the first time out. ATC handles many different mfr.'s wheels.

Dave

Thanks for any info.

Vance

On my 34 3 1/2 back space worked great front and rear ..MII and Ford maverick 8 inch then i went to americans 3 3/8 back space.. no problemo.
Dave

EMSjunkie

Thanks everybody for the info  :D   :D

You guys ROCK!!

the URL's were a real big help. I have to look at what I'm doing while I read about it. I learn gooder that way  :shock:

In Paramedic school, my instructor told us there are two types of students,
Tactile learners, those who learn by reading while doing, and Tangent learners, those who have to read first, then try to figure it out,

guess I'm a Tactile learner.

Once again, THANKS!!!!

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

Crafty

After doing all the measuring stuff I cut a piece of hardbaord or stiff cardboard to the width of my wheel, drew a line down the board to mimic the mounting face of the wheel ( measured from the back edge give the backspacing) and tacked a strip of wood to the board along that line ( it now sort of resembles a signpost ) put the strip of wood on the mounting face, spin the hub round and see if your board hits anything, by moving the strip back and forth on the board you alter the backspacing, once I had it roughly right I made another board that was as wide as my tyre ( overall width, not section width ) and checked again.

C9

Surely you can find a corect pattern wheel w/mounted tire in the sizes - or close - you're considering?

If you can, measure the wheel's backspace and width, mount the wheel, take note of any conflicts during suspension travel front and rear as well as clearance when the front wheels are turned lock to lock.

If that all works, look it over and see if the wheel/tire combo sits within the body like you want.
You should be able to make a very accurate estimate from there.

Theory and measuring are nice - and work if you're careful - but there's nothing quite like operating in the three dimensional world to see precisely where you're at.

Or . . . take the coward's way out and build a highboy . . . the wheels always fit these.... :lol:
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "C9"

Theory and measuring are nice - and work if you're careful - but there's nothing quite like operating in the three dimensional world to see precisely where you're at.

Or . . . take the coward's way out and build a highboy . . . the wheels always fit these.... :lol:

Interesting, I like the way you think  :)

highboy is outta the question, fenders are already part of the body.
maybe on the next project. I have always liked the way a highboy coupe like Daves looks. looks fast sittin still.  8)

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders