F100 engines?

Started by Pep, May 17, 2005, 09:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pep

I have a mate that has an original 65 F100 that he is contemplating selling. He tells me it has an original Y block but when I search the net, the specs says it had an optional 352 ( FE I assume ) but didn't mention a Y block...Are they similar to look at, can there be confusion between the 2. I'm no expert on either F100s of FE/Y blocks. Thanks for any help
See Ya
Pep

flatoz

not a canadian one is it pep? like with the flatheads they went to 54. or dodge poly motors went to 66 instead of 65?

pretty easy to tell a Y block from an FE. power alone would be enough! :D

kb426

Easiest way I know is valve covers. Y block is held on with 2 studs through the top, one at each end. Fe series has small perimeter bolts holding it down. FE has distributor in front, intake manifold is also the valley cover. Y blocks have a separate valley cover from the intake. like an early hemi.
TEAM SMART

GPster

I think the "Y" block Ford engines are the only V8s with the distributer in the rear. I've heard of Ford using the 292s until '64 in trucks. No telling what they did in the rest of the world. Also the intake maniflods only seal against the head, the can valley is sealed under the manifold with a tin plate. GPster