Where can I buy an old Ford Ignition Switch????

Started by 40, March 05, 2004, 06:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I recently purchased a 35 Ford Coupe and,after much difficulty,have it in my shop.It would not run when delivered and I have found the column mounted Ignition switch to be bad.It is the toggle type switch that heats up the ignition system.I have tried all of the usuall sources for old Ford parts with no luck....just wondering if anyone has a suggestion or better yet,perhaps someone has a used one lying around for sale.I would hate to guess how many of them I have thrown away over the years...a simple toggle switch will work but for now,I want to maintain the originallity of the car.Thanks........Any help greatly appreciated!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Rayvyn

***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

av8

Sacramento Vintage Ford has all the elements needed to rebuild the switch, including the cylinder lock with keys, ignition lock switch body contact plate, ignition contact brush, and the metal cover for the contact plate. They also have new ignition switch ON-OFF plates (ncluding rivets).

SACRAMENTO VINTAGE FORD
2484 Mercantile Drive
Rancho Cordova, CA 95742

916-853-2244 Tech help line
916-853-2299 FAX
www.vintage-ford.com  On-line order form

Rayvyn

Try this out also...

1935-1948 Ignition Cylinder w/key
Part # 48-3686
Joe Smith Ford and Street Rod Parts
51 Lakewood Dr. SE
Marietta, Ga. 30060
1-800-235-4013
1-770-426-9850

www.joesmithauto.com
e-mail---
hankyoung@joesmithauto.com

Good luck---tell em' Rayvyn sent ya'...
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

paul2748

Try Job Lot in NY - 718-468-8585.  Their catalogue shows parts for the switch

47wood

look on www.fordbarn.com  ...if you don't see one take out a free Parts Wanted ad.
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!

Thanks Guys! I'll follow up on those suggestions Monday morning and see what I can come up with.

moparrodder

Hey Daryle!!  When did ya get this one?   How ya comming on the 36? ready to put the body back on or have ya got it done?  Man I gota take some vacation so I can come up and visit, seems like I don't have any time off anymore, too much to do at work and nothing getting done at home and that sucks.  Gail said the other day we were going to BTTF this year one way or the other, I just smiled :D  No arguement there, and am finding some parts for the 40, don't think it will be ready for BTTF but we are going to give it a good run at late this summer or early fall.  Catch ya later!  Bill 8)

Bill,Don't worry....You'll definately get a call :P Unfortunately,at the rate the painter is going,it will probably be Fall before it's ready :( I bought this old 35 last Fall in New Hampshire but couldn't get any transporters to deliver it untill a couple of weeks ago....seems the 8' of snow was a little bit of a deterant!Nice old car that I have no idea what I'll do with or why I even bought it for that matter :roll: Glad to hear your going to make the 50's....It is definately a "Must Do"

Just wanted to say Thanks for the info!! I got the switch body from Vintage Ford in California and the brush from Joe Smith in Atlanta.The good news is that it works great....the downside is,with frieght,I've got about $40 invested to do what I could have accomplished with a $1 toggle switch from the parts store! :roll: Oh Well!

Dirk35

I can look on my old 35 pickup inner frame and see if my original one is still on the column if you dont have one to rebuild at all. Mine would have to be rebuilt also , if I still have it.

That is if you dont have yours at all. Ill send it to you for free If you actually need it, and I actually still have it.

Thanks for the offer! My switch was in great shape other than the contacts on the brush....I replaced the switch body also as it looked a bit worn.Everything is working great!