Fuel Pump Capacity

Started by Dusty, May 11, 2005, 11:16:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty

Does anyone know if an"In Tank" fuel pump for an S-10 will keep up with a Carburated street use 350?  I've been thinking of just leaving the "In Tank" pump connected, and feeding the mechanical pump with it, just in case.  Maybe the Mechanical pump won't be needed.  I purchased a brand new tank and was wondering whether to leave the pump in it or just put in a filter and fuel line and use the mechanical pump.  When you buy a new sending unit, it comes with Pump, filter, and sending unit.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas
THE SECOND MOUSE GETS THE CHEESE

enjenjo

Yes, but you need a pressure regulator, that TBI pump puts out way to much pressure, like 50 psi. Unless you get a pump for a carbureted 4.3, it will have the right pressure range.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Dusty

Frank, Does the TBI pump kick off when it reaches a set pressure?  If not, could I put in a return line, and loop it back to the tank, and let the Carb feed off of the loop, and eliminate the regulator?
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas
THE SECOND MOUSE GETS THE CHEESE

enjenjo

No, it runs all the time. The fuel moving through the pump keeps it from overheating. It has a return line on it already. You have to use a regulator, it flat puts out too much pressure. I believe Holley has a regulator with return line capability.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.