Speaking of radiators.

Started by Dave, May 01, 2005, 05:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Dunno how I drove all last summer without a problem and this summer I need to just ride the honda. Went to the ypsilanti cruise saturday nite got there opened the hood and found antifreeze on the air cleaner and firewall.
Checked on the trip home and all ok. Today for the show I got it again. Put the cooling system tester on it tonite and low and behold my 1 year old griffin radiator has a leak at the top of the cooling section right below the top of the tank @#$%^  :cry:  Im gonna put some aluma seal in er before the coldwater show next weekend and hope that fixes it. Its not real bad but it * me off cause its only got 3500 miles on it.
Dave :evil:

Kctom

Quote from: "N8DC"Dunno how I drove all last summer without a problem and this summer I need to just ride the honda. Went to the ypsilanti cruise saturday nite got there opened the hood and found antifreeze on the air cleaner and firewall.
Checked on the trip home and all ok. Today for the show I got it again. Put the cooling system tester on it tonite and low and behold my 1 year old griffin radiator has a leak at the top of the cooling section right below the top of the tank @#$%^  :cry:  Im gonna put some aluma seal in er before the coldwater show next weekend and hope that fixes it. Its not real bad but it * me off cause its only got 3500 miles on it.

My buddy put three of those in his 55 chevy, not one went over 2000 mile before springing a leak. Don't know why they keep making them with epoxy.

Dave

Quote from: "Kctom1"
Quote from: "N8DC"Dunno how I drove all last summer without a problem and this summer I need to just ride the honda. Went to the ypsilanti cruise saturday nite got there opened the hood and found antifreeze on the air cleaner and firewall.

My buddy put three of those in his 55 chevy, not one went over 2000 mile before springing a leak. Don't know why they keep making them with epoxy.

I just sent an email to srbymichael to ask about the warranty. I see its 2 years and I should be ok but I cant have this thing down for warranty BS.
I asked him about an exchange deal ? We will see what happens.
Dave

alchevy

I just went through the same thing with my AFCO Aluminum one I had in my '40 Chevy. Got tired of the leaks in it (second time in one year) and yanked it out and put a Walker in it's place. The AFCO had a one year warranty that was up before I cranked the car for the first time. The Walker has a 5 year warranty.
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

n.c.rodder

Boy this summer sure hasn't started off very good has it :?:

Mike
Till we meet - On the street

river1

adversity builds character :lol:  :lol:

you're becoming quite a character  :P>

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Mikej

Dave are you using a hose or a metal pipe for the upper radiator hose? I had a motor mount break and with the movement  from that, it broke the tank loose where yours is. I didn't know the motor mount was broken until I took the hood off looking for the water leak. I wouldn't leak with the tester pumped up to 40 psi. , but it leaked when the motor raised up. I am now using a rubber hose.

Dave

Quote from: "Mikej"

Dave are you using a hose or a metal pipe for the upper radiator hose? I had a motor mount break and with the movement  from that, it broke the tank loose where yours is. I didn't know the motor mount was broken until I took the hood off looking for the water leak. I wouldn't leak with the tester pumped up to 40 psi. , but it leaked when the motor raised up. I am now using a rubber hose.

Stainless flex and it leaks all the time .I tested it last nite. I talked to Rose at street rods by michael and they said they would get me fixed up. Im hoping we can get one in here to exchange it. The worst part as most of you all know is the radiator is holding everything on the front of the car and its prolly a good 2 if not 3 days to carefully swap it out and get everything back in place with no damage to the hood paint grille shell ect. This isnt the only bad thing im dealing with these days around here but its the least worry at the moment. Ive got to go see a lawyer tomorrow for the other crap but dont worry all im not getting divorced :lol:
Dave :(

Dave

3 Cheers for Street Rods by Michael. My new radiator goes out wednesday so ill have it by monday at the latest and they are sending a shipping label to send the other one back to Griffin... I like it..
I hope the new one lasts a little longer but at least griffin is standing behind thier product. Now wish me luck at the laywers office tomorrow.

Dave

Charlie Chops 1940

Well, I'm starting my third season on the Griffin in my '40. Keeping my fingers crossed. I have a new out of warranty Griffin in the '32 pile - we'll see how that works out someday....

Hope yours gets solved Dave.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

slocrow

Boy you're really catching it so far this year. Seems it all started with the tool thing. Glad that SR by M and Griffin are standing tall. I also have a Griffin with 4/5 years on er and so far so good. The thing that got me was the line above by Kctom1 "Don't know why they keep making them with epoxy". I did not know this and am now concerned. Oh well, where's that bottle of Barrs stop leak.............Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Dave

Quote from: "slocrow"Boy you're really catching it so far this year. Seems it all started with the tool thing. Glad that SR by M and Griffin are standing tall. I also have a Griffin with 4/5 years on er and so far so good. The thing that got me was the line above by Kctom1 "Don't know why they keep making them with epoxy". I did not know this and am now concerned. Oh well, where's that bottle of Barrs stop leak.............Frank

I sure hope it goes ok and i make to Indy.. Louisville is out. Just had to borrow big bucks for an attorney. Ill fill ya in at indy. Life sucks all of a sudden and im gettin screwed but im fighting back.
Dave