&^%%&^**(&$## ....O for 3

Started by midnight sun, April 30, 2005, 07:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midnight sun

Well I went on my 3rd "long distance tour" today.  As you recall, my first outing resulted in a blown motor.  The 2nd tour of 80 miles resulted in a push rod poking its ugly head through a rocker arm.  Today we went from Grand Junction to Moab Utah.  Its 90 miles each way.  Car ran like a top for, are you ready........175 miles.  Cruising along at about 65 and it started popping back through the carb.  Had a little more lifter noise than normal. Any acceleration causes it to pop.  The more acceleration the more popping.  Limped home.  Havent done anything yet.  Im * and the car is too hot anyway.  What a drag.

Im thinking burned valve, flat cam, busted valve spring.  Any more ideas?  Guess the first thing I will do is pull off the valve covers and look around.  Then do a compression check.  Im beginning to think this 327 is jinxed.

Later
How can there be "self help" groups :?:

phat46

Im thinking burned valve, flat cam, busted valve spring.  Any more ideas?  Guess the first thing I will do is pull off the valve covers and look around.  Then do a compression check.  Im beginning to think this 327 is jinxed.

That really sucks!!!  
I had a smallblock act like that, turned out to be a flat cam....

Crosley.In.AZ

pull the rocker arm covers.

look at the exhaust valve rockers movement.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Dave

Quote from: "midnight sun"Well I went on my 3rd "long distance tour" today.  As you recall, my first outing resulted in a blown motor.  The 2nd tour of 80 miles resulted in a push rod poking its ugly head through a rocker arm.  Today we went from Grand Junction to Moab Utah.  Its 90 miles each way.  Car ran like a top for, are you ready........175 miles.  Cruising along at about 65 and it started popping back through the carb.  Had a little more lifter noise than normal. Any acceleration causes it to pop.  The more acceleration the more popping.  Limped home.  Havent done anything yet.  Im * and the car is too hot anyway.  What a drag.

Later

Dam that sucks..  I hope you find the problem and get er fixed up for good.
Dave

chris spokes

8) might be another rocker could be time for rollers
he who has the most toys wins

chopper

Hey man... that's tough luck.
At least if I'm right you haven't much to worry about. Sounds like a pushrod.
Chopper

rx4ord

Sounds like it to me,but why? Wrong rocker ratio or wrong post angle/height? Valves not nudging a piston as a result of above?
When I was young I went hard and fast.Now I\'m old I still go hard, only slower

Phil1934

I'll guess pulled rocker stud.

slocrow

Sorry but my guess is a wiped exhaust lobe. Compression check should be good........
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...