tell me some tales of remote condensers

Started by 40oz., April 27, 2005, 10:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

40oz.

i had to remove the condenser  from the front of the rad. on the stude, it is so dense that it will not let the fan cool the rad. and it causing some major overheating. so i need to remote the condenser under the truck. vintage has a good looking piece that i am thinking of buying, but i would like some feed back from some of you who have experience with remotes. personaly i have never had any luck with them. but then again, i was being told how to do it.any one have any tips or tricks? would building a scoop, like a small version of  a p-51 mustang be over kill? i  think that tucked up alone  under the bed would be like putting it in a  vacuum zone. any thoughts?
RED WRENCH CUSTOMS AND FABRICATION

WZ JUNK

I built a 31 Dodge a couple of years back with two remote condensers.  I placed them on each side of the driveshaft just ahead of the rear end at a slight angle.  Each had a shroud and an electric fan.  This may be the one you are refereing to.  The system worked fine but requires a lot of plumbing.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

348tripower

I did a 29 Chevy sedan 3 years ago. It never really cooled properly. Just one remote unit. I wanted the guy to put the condensor out front. He didn't wnt too. It too was very labor intensive.
Don

uote="40oz."]i had to remove the condenser  from the front of the rad. on the stude, it is so dense that it will not let the fan cool the rad. and it causing some major overheating. so i need to remote the condenser under the truck. vintage has a good looking piece that i am thinking of buying, but i would like some feed back from some of you who have experience with remotes. personaly i have never had any luck with them. but then again, i was being told how to do it.any one have any tips or tricks? would building a scoop, like a small version of  a p-51 mustang be over kill? i  think that tucked up alone  under the bed would be like putting it in a  vacuum zone. any thoughts?[/quote]
Don Colliau

HOTRODSRJ

Had a 35 PU a few years back that had a condensing coil up under the bed with a powered electric fan!  Worked like a charm.  YOu have to have a fan on the coil to work.  Forget about scoops!...at idle you won't have any airflow to scoop anyway.
STEVE "JACKSTANDS" JACK

40oz.

no, of course there will be a fan, with a shroud and it will be the biggest that i can stuff under the bed. the scoop idea is only for road speed help. tucked that high up in a pocket seems to me that at hwy speeds the air would be a little stagnet. but, this is why im asking :D
RED WRENCH CUSTOMS AND FABRICATION

Okiedokie

I had the same problem with my 40, and did the same. It worked fine. When I added air to my 46 I also used remote, works good. Joe

Mr34

Does anyone have some photos of the location and installation of these condensors as i am interested in this myself.
Are they sitting vertical or flat? do you have any problems with rocks going through the core seeing as the condensor is under the car?

If you had a roadster, could you mount one in the space just behind the diff in a vertical fashion?

Do you have any problems with pressure loss in the pipes due to the longer piping to the remote condensor?

thanks for any repies in advance!

Okiedokie

I mounted the one in my 40 Ford Tudor in front of the differential, with the shrouded side down. The one in my 46 Ford Bus. Cpe is mounted somewhat slanted in front of the radiator[covers maybe 15 % of the lower core] with the shrouded side facing the front of the car. Couldn't do this in many vehicles, but it has worked good in mine. It has been this way for probably six years with no problems.