shop a/c duct work parts

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, April 22, 2005, 09:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I am actually installing the A/C duct work in my shop now.  Very careful  tedious work 12 feet in the air.

Heights do not bother me, the wiggling of the scafolding does though..... :shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

EMSjunkie

Looks great Tony!

is that a wet bar in the corner?

how big is the hot tub?

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

n.c.rodder

Up here in northern Michigan A/C is never on our minds..........It's heat.......heat .........and more HEAT!!! :wink:

Mike
Till we meet - On the street

Sean

Quote from: "Crosley"tedious work 12 feet in the air.

So you should have sympathy for me then since I do it 40 hours a week now. I've been working on a Sam's Club addition for the last couple months, so most of it is 30 feet up in the air .... And I  am scared of heights :shock:

Are you hanging it with strap, or cable? I can't tell from the picture. We have started using 1/8" wire rope with "Gripples". You hang the wire rope from the ceiling, then stick the loose end through the gripple, creating a loop. Once you get the spiral through the loop, you just suck it down tight, kind of like a zip-tie.

58 Yeoman

Are you wearing your osha approved safety harness and tie-off?  Over 8 feet, you know. :lol:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

river1

Quote from: "n.c.rodder"Up here in northern Michigan A/C is never on our minds..........It's heat.......heat .........and more HEAT!!! :wink:

Mike

that's the beauty of a heat pump like tony put in, you get both.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Are you wearing your osha approved safety harness and tie-off?  Over 8 feet, you know. :lol:

I am using the canadian Red Green approved duct tape.  Twice around the waist and I am good to go
Tony

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Are you wearing your osha approved safety harness and tie-off?  Over 8 feet, you know. :lol:

I am using the canadian Red Green approved duct tape.  Twice around the waist and I am good to go

OSHA gets trumped again by Red Green's duct tape!   :lol:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

If your parts fit together as * poor as mine I do feel sorry for you at 30 feet in the air!  I am drilling out spot welds , cutting , trimming &  hammering this crap together.  

This  spiral duct work is a completely different size from one end to the other. One end my couplers fit in loose, the other end it barely fits.  So drill out spot welds and resize each piece

I am also making up new word groups as I argue with these parts.

I am using strap on the spiral tubes for support.  3/8" all thread down through the sheet rock from a C channel piece across the truss

Quote from: "Sean"
So you should have sympathy for me then since I do it 40 hours a week now. I've been working on a Sam's Club addition for the last couple months, so most of it is 30 feet up in the air .... And I  am scared of heights :shock:

Are you hanging it with strap, or cable? I can't tell from the picture. We have started using 1/8" wire rope with "Gripples". You hang the wire rope from the ceiling, then stick the loose end through the gripple, creating a loop. Once you get the spiral through the loop, you just suck it down tight, kind of like a zip-tie.
Tony

Sean

Quote from: "Crosley"If your parts fit together as * poor as mine I do feel sorry for you at 30 feet in the air!  I am drilling out spot welds , cutting , trimming &  hammering this crap together.  

One thing that helps us is getting the spiral and the fittings both from the same manufacturer. We still end up "Fixing" a lot of fittings though.

When you start cutting the grilles in, a 1/2" uni-bit will give you a good starting point for your snips. Be careful cutting through the seams in the spiral though. I broke a pair of snips last week because I tried to cut through a seam too close to the tip.

A cutting wheel in a grinder would be quicker, but I have to run about 250' of cord to get power where i'm at. Electric tools don't like that too well...

Crosley.In.AZ

progress photos  install of parts.

These sheet metal duct  parts were built for me locally.  They buy the spiral duct from a supplier.  The 16 inch spiral was a good fit  and consistent in size. The 12 spiral duct sucks for consistent size, none of the couplers fit , the elbo does not fit

Sean;

You are correct , the spiral rib will break a snip.  I have a new set of snips  and will need another new set when this is finished
Tony

EMSjunkie

I was starting to get worried about you,
thought maybe Street Beast was building a/c ducts now  :shock:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Sean

Looks good Tony. When you're ready to do it full time, here are the guys to talk to.

http://www.azsheetmetal.org/lu359.htm

Since you're not scared of heights, maybe they'll put you on the Cardinals Arena crew...

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Sean"the Cardinals Arena ...

LOL....... it took years for that looser team to get a stadium built.

I had a letter printed in the local fish wrap on the OP-ED page years ago.

My comment  was :" With the style of football the  Cardinals play , they only need a small Comedy club not a stadium".
Tony

Sean

Quote from: "Crosley"

LOL....... it took years for that looser team to get a stadium built.

Why do you think we let you have them? You notice we kept the Baseball team... :wink: