Is copper the new red?

Started by DRD57, April 19, 2005, 12:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

47wood

Wow ...when I saw that color it gave me an instant flashback to my teen years in the early 60's in San Diego.  I knew an older guy (late 20s) with a '51 Caddy coupe, 3-speed LaSalle, with the body a color very similar and a cream top.  It was a knockout and I'm sure yours' will be too.  Congrats on a nice "mistake."  Cal   :wink:
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!

Dave

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"The answer to your question is yes.  Yes in a major way.  Joe is right, the plan for Big Olds was shiny copper.  Even went so far as to pick out two different shades that I really liked, paints mixed and a spray-out done of one of the shades.  I had the top and interior done in my head as well.  

After a summer of different car shows all over the midwest I was second guessing whether I really wanted a color on Big Olds that looked like I was jumping on the band wagon so to speak.  It seemed every show I attended another buddy had painted his car copper.  Seemed every other cover car in the mags was painted one shade or another of copper.  The one thing I kept thinking was they all tended to be "small" type hot rods, like roadster and coupes, not any large cars like my Olds or your Caddy.  Which would be a good thing for you.

I LOVE the copper shades but after carrying around that can of paint with the color sprayed on it for months, looking at it while I watched TV, looking at it while I surfed on the computer, looking at it while I blow dried my hair and put on my makeup,  :shock: etc, I came to the conclusion I wanted something different for Big Olds.

I'm thrilled with the color I choose now.  I was alittle nervous at first cuz for over a year I thought it would be copper and to change the picture in my head of a what Big Olds would look like finished was very hard.   I know your Caddy will look AWESOME in a shade of copper, I can see it very clearly in my head right now.  Looking forward to seeing it live and in person one of these days.

Hummmm Jumping on the band wagon ???  I noticed at louisville that I had the only prowler orange (copper Color ) 32 that I could find anyway. Ive had dozens of people ask me what color my car was and I told em and they told me they were gonna paint thier car that color. I hope they were ready for the 400 a gallon price tag and I just heard paint went up again. I got in early and i expect 1000 cars at louisville this year to be copper :lol:  I had the same deal with the purple 34 .. Im keeping my color till it gets wore out then im thinking the old stand by.. BLACK.
I cant wait to see the big olds the pics look good.
Dave 8)

Brootal

Quote from: "Beck"If anyone else is considering copper check these factory colors out.
Mitsubishi - Durango Copper Pearl (this color is best remembered as the top 1/2 of Troys 39 Chevy coupe "Predator")
Beck

That's funny, when Don was here for the Hot Rod Nationals in 2003 he took some photos of a Mitsubishi Magna (I think in the US they are a Diamante or something...)

Did you end up matching it to something similar Don? From memory, the Bitsamissing colour had more red in it.
Yes it is Grandad\'s Old Rambler!

//www.the-rumbler.com

DRD57

I tested several other colors. Most were either quite a bit more red or quite a bit more orange.

Some that were in the running included:

Prowler Orange
GM Sunset Orange
Saturn Burnt Orange
Ford Mandarin Copper
There was another Ford Truck color, the Mitsu one and a BMW color that I don't recall the names of and of course Sierra Gold

Carps

Quote from: "DRD57"Saturn Burnt Orange
Now that's gotta be a challennge to your skill with the spray gun.  

Or were you planning on leaving the coloured rings off?   :lol:
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Dolly

Hmmm, seems his sense of humour is working just fine.   :wink:
Dolly

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

HotRodLadyCrusr

Not sure what exact shade of copper this is but a local buddy debuted this in April of 2004.  He also had it in L'ville along with just about every GG and NSRA show east of the Mississippi.

Not sure exactly what shade this is either but it was in L'ville this past Aug.

The cover of the Dec 2002 StreetRod Builder has an awesome shade of copper (Dupont copper-orange)on the '32 roadster on the cover AND the Jan 2003 cover of Streetrodder has a great shade of copper on the cover car '32 sedan(PPG Mandarin Copper).   I spent months looking at these two mag cars.

Boones on the HAMB is currently painting his new ride copper and another guy on the HAMB has painted his Willys copper.

Copper, the next red.... you bet.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Dave

Quote from: "DRD57"I tested several other colors. Most were either quite a bit more red or quite a bit more orange.

Some that were in the running included:

Prowler Orange
GM Sunset Orange
Saturn Burnt Orange
Ford Mandarin Copper
There was another Ford Truck color, the Mitsu one and a BMW color that I don't recall the names of and of course Sierra Gold

Just bought a pint of prowler orange to paint the new mounts for the ford svo disk brake kit... and one gallon of reducer... OUCH 125.75
Dave :cry:

Roadstar

IT should look great Don.

What color or combo of colors are planned for the interior?

DRD57

Quote from: "Roadstar"IT should look great Don.

What color or combo of colors are planned for the interior?

Creamy white on the seats, door panels & headliner, copper carpet and the dash will be creamy white with a copper pad.

DRD57

Quote from: "Beck"How much $$$ would be lost if that 5 gallon bucket of paint was knocked over?

Beck

I just got the 4 gallons of paint I ordered. It really pays (saves) having friends who will cut you a deal. $637.00

No, It isn't stolen. I have a receipt.