Rod & Custom

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, April 12, 2005, 11:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

the current issue has some tech article about the new 4 banger engines.  Our guy Matt at Hughes Performance is quoted a few times in there.  

Mentions the adapter plate we manufacture for the Ecotec engines that I posted a photo of many months  ago

In the letter section there are comments on DRD57 and the ergo-rama event.  Stuff about Don hittin the strip wall / guard rail.  The mag guy , Kevin takes  Don's side about this stuff
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Crosley.In.AZ

Tony

enjenjo

I looked at the letter about Don's car, I thought the guy was a bit picky, when the wheels are already sliding, more brake doesn't help generally.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"I looked at the letter about Don's car, I thought the guy was a bit picky, when the wheels are already sliding, more brake doesn't help generally.

yep , and Don probably puts more miles a year on his car than most guys in 5.

Don has told me he is having the most fun ever in his life with the hotrod.
Tony

DRD57

Quote from: "enjenjo"I looked at the letter about Don's car, I thought the guy was a bit picky, when the wheels are already sliding, more brake doesn't help generally.

That's right, when your sliding sideways it doesn't matter if you have brakes at all.

As it turns out, the whole squirrelly guardrail incident can probably be traced back to the braking competition. I was having some problems with the front right brake chattering for a while before and during the entire event. Later I discovered the drum was cracked around the lugs because the edge of the drum was contacting the rim before the wheel was tight. This put undo pressure on the drum which caused it to crack and chatter. This has since been corrected with 1/8th inch wheel spacers.    

Back to the braking competition. The chatter was at light and moderate pedal pressure. Heavy pressure was fine. I knew I had no chance to win the braking competition so, I decided to just have fun with it. As it turns out REALLY expensive fun. On all 3 trys I just hammered the brakes and went into a 4 wheel skid. The R&C guys got some * pictures with smoke rolling out of all 4 wheels. Too bad they didn't publish any. I believe these 3 panic stops are what bent the cast axle into 10 degrees negative caster. That coupled with slightly uneven rear tire pressures, the rear shocks set on their softest setting (for pictures of extreme body lean in the slalom), and a very slick track made for a very hairy ride.

Since then I replaced the steering box, front axle, king pins & bushings,  tie rod, drag link, all tie rod ends, 4 bar bushings, front drums, front tires and one hub cap. It needed a bit of body work on 3 fenders too. Now it goes straight and stops straight just like before I beat the crap out of it twice for the Ego-Rama.

Carps

Quote from: "DRD57"

That's right, when your sliding sideways it doesn't matter if you have brakes at all.
Somebody wants to email me a copy (just got the copy with Don's coupe on the cover, so it's probably gunna be a while before I get the mag with this guys letter in it)of the appropriate page, I'm more than happy to give this clown a lesson on vehicle dynamics and since I've spent more than a few minutes riding in that puppy, a few words on the ability of Don's coupe will also be included.

Dude, glad to hear you've got it all sorted, coz i'm kinda looking forward to my next ride.   :wink:
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

X38

You should subscribe Carps, I'm up to June.