cam recommendation ?

Started by zzebby, April 05, 2005, 10:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rumrumm

The downside of using thicker head gaskets is that you will not have appropriate quench (.035"-.045"),  and this can also cause detonation. I  think your two best options are changing the cam or using the open chamber heads.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Mikej

You could also port and polish your heads. This should let you gain some cc's. They also have stacked gaskets now that might work.

zzebby

I did some research and the pistons are almost flat tops,  small dome and give 9:1  ratio with the stock heads.   I found a set of 73 open chamber heads for $100  but they need going thru.
I plan to put it back together this weekend with the Crane cam and the 9:1  and put it in the car and try it out.  If it pings bad then I'll redo the open chamber heads and install them with the engine in the car.  I feel my back already..........  Downside is that then the compression will be about 7:1 :(
Thick gaskets on the old closed chamber heads ??

rumrumm

Never use thicker head gaskets to achieve a lower compression because it will render the quench area ineffective and promote detonation. If you have a zero-decked block, you want to use a gasket that has a compressed height of between .035 and .045 with .040 the number to shoot for. If do not have a decked block, you need to use a gasket that creates the above numbers when you figure in how far the piston sits in the hole at TDC. I don't know what is normal for BB's but for SB's it is between .020 and .025. So if your piston sits .025 in the hole, your head gasket compressed height should be no more than .020. A .015 gasket would be even better.
Lynn
'32 3W

HOTRODSRJ

Quote from: "rumrumm"The downside of using thicker head gaskets is that you will not have appropriate quench (.035"-.045"),  and this can also cause detonation. I  think your two best options are changing the cam or using the open chamber heads.

Rumrumm, I think you actually meant......, "The downside of using thicker head gaskets is that you MAY not have appropriate quench (.035"-.045"),  and this can also cause detonation.

This is true and I agree...... however if he has for example .035 now and can go to even .050 without much problems.  This would be a help and would not induce detonation IMO.  Most detonation problems start at over .060quench/squish heights. I would call .035-.042 perfect, .043-.048 good, .049-.053 acceptable.

Operating quench height varies in an engine as RPM and temperature change.  For example, if aluminum rods, loose pistons, (they rock and hit the head), and over 6000 RPM operation is anticipated, a static clearance of .055" could be required in such an engine.
STEVE "JACKSTANDS" JACK

rumrumm

Point taken, Steve. But I always like to shoot for perfect.
Lynn
'32 3W

HOTRODSRJ

Quote from: "rumrumm"Point taken, Steve. But I always like to shoot for perfect.

Meeeeeeeeeeetoooooooooooo
STEVE "JACKSTANDS" JACK