Help with my Deuce front end

Started by seadog, April 03, 2005, 10:33:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadog

I am finally underway with my Deuce 5 window project.  When I dropped the motor and tranny into the frame to check the fit I was pleased to see that the mounts lined up and everything is square.  BUT, there's always a but, right?

It seems to me that there isn't enough clearance between the engine front pully and the steering rack.  With the car on the ground, there's only about a quarter inch, maybe a little less, between the bottom of the pully and the rack.  Somebody with experience give me some feed back here.  Is this something I need to change or is it OK to have things this tight.  Seems to me that a big bump would cause contact.  Yes, No?

Roadstar

1/4 inch is kinda close, but nothing should be moving.

You might want to put a spacer between the motor mount and the block and get another 1/4 inch, 1/2 inch total should be plenty.

The only problem there is the mounts will get alittle wider when you space them from the block. If you don't have enough "Wiggle room" there you won't be able to do this.

Next, out comes the saw and the motor mounts get moved up until you are comfortable with   the clearance.

One thing  you  DON"T want to do is try and move the rack, The steering geometry is designed  with the  Rack in a specfic place and will be altered if the Rack is moved.

kb426

Your garage is way too clean. We need to bring over some dirt and oil.
TEAM SMART

Dave

Quote from: "seadog"I am finally underway with my Deuce 5 window project.  When I dropped the motor and tranny into the frame to check the fit I was pleased to see that the mounts lined up and everything is square.  BUT, there's always a but, right?

It seems to me that there isn't enough clearance between the engine front pully and the steering rack.  With the car on the ground, there's only about a quarter inch, maybe a little less, between the bottom of the pully and the rack.  Somebody with experience give me some feed back here.  Is this something I need to change or is it OK to have things this tight.  Seems to me that a big bump would cause contact.  Yes, No?

It should be ok . I dont think the motor is gonna move enuff to hit it. But is there any chance you could put some spacers in the mounts and dont forget one for the tranny also. Whos body is that ? It sure looks nice in the pic.
Dave

seadog

Whos body is that ? It sure looks nice in the pic.
Dave[/quote]

Thanks,  it's  New Age Motorsports body.  I got the body and rolling chassis from them.  Just set the motor and trans in to check for fit the other day.  I have lots to get done before it can be considered finished so I'm sure I'll be back with more questions as this little drama unfolds.  

Thanks to all who answered.  I think I'll try to get some spacers under the mounts.  I'd feel more comfortable with just a bit more clearance.

tom36

I've seen those NewAge 5 windows up close and personal and I was quite impressed.  One of the best (if not the best) glass 5 windows around.  I like the drip rails.  Tom..

Charlie Chops 1940

The only problem I see will be changing a belt out in Bubba, Iowa. A quarter inch is pretty tight to get a belt through especially when everything else is in the way. Another 1/4" would be better IMHO.

Nice car.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

rumrumm

I have the same front suspension, and the Outlaw frame's motor mounts did not allow clearance at all. So I designed mounts to raise the engine. It was a pain cutting out the old mounts and welding  in the new ones, but it was the only thing I could do. I sent Outlaw a nice letter detailing the problem and included a scale drawing of how the motor mounts should be for a Heidt Superide front end. I hope they made appropriate changes. I would rather have no motor mounts installed that ones that don't work. Other than that,  I have the upmost respect for their product quality.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com