early gm steering column disassembly instructions

Started by sirstude, March 21, 2005, 05:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirstude

Anyone out there have or know of where I can get a set of instructions on how to disassemble and early (1967 or so) tilt gm column?  I know how to get the top of it apart, but not sure how to get the bearing and such apart on the bottom. I fiddled with it a bit, and just was going to break the plastic retainer at the rate I was going.  I need to get it completely apart so I can shorten it about 3 inches.  I just can't bring myself to spring 4 or 500 bucks for one of the new columns.  This is a tilt/shift column out of I belive a 67 caprice.  

thanks
Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

enjenjo

Most any GM column comes apart the same, so any instructions will work. On the bottom bearing, there is a spring clip that holds a metal retainer for the plastic bearing holder. The bearing just snaps into the plastic. Often the bearing is stuck on the shaft by rust, clean as much as you can off, and use penetrating oil on what's left. If you take the top of the column apart, you can get the shaft down far enough to get to the back side of the bearing, to get it loose.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

sirstude

Thanks Frank,

I will take a run at it tonight I hope.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us