Plumbers wanted - Fuel Line experience a must

Started by 58Apache, February 27, 2004, 09:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58Apache

Ok guys, I have aluminum line from the tank to the manual fuel pump. I would LIKE to use a glass fuel filter there just because I like to see what's happening there for troubleshooting purposes.

I have a stainless flex line on the output..going straight out ....and I think I'll put a 90 degree A/N6 there to take the line to the Quadrajet. I have good fittings there at the Quadrajet as I took it all down to the local speed shop to get the proper fittings. So that line is in, but doesn't have to stay "as-is" if you have a better idea?

My main problem: I can't fit the glass fuel filter between the manual pump and the frame where the line come through because there's just not enough room. Sooooo how do I fit a glass filter in between the aluminum line and the manual fuel pump?

I am all ears and eyes on suggestions for plumbing the fuel system and would love to see pics.

Thanx!
                              Steve

jaybee

Howzabout if you run the fuel filter parallel to the frame and then turn toward the pump?  The way I read it you're trying to put the filter between the tank and pump?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Bruce Dorsi

You mentioned a MANUAL fuel pump.  ...Is it safe to assume you meant MECHANICAL fuel pump?

Please be VERY cautious about mounting a glass filter where it can get broken from flying rocks/debris/etc!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

WZ JUNK

If you are thinking of using one of those filters that is made up of metal ends and a clear see through center section, do not do it.  Through it away as far as you can.  Just use a good filter and replace it from time to time.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

48 Suburban

They aint just whistlin Dixie, I had one break going down the road, almost had a BBQ. Buy a nice billet one you can take apart if you need to se the crud :shock:  48 suburban
Lack of planning on your part,
does not constitute an emergency on my part

32tom

Quote from: "48 Suburban"They aint just whistlin Dixie, I had one break going down the road, almost had a BBQ. Buy a nice billet one you can take apart if you need to se the crud :shock:  48 suburban

I don't think a mechanical pump needs much filter protection. I worry about the carb/s. I've had lots of dirt in the carb problems but it has never affected a mech. pump. I like the old timey look of a sediment bowl filter and the reasons you mentioned. They were used for decades.  Our throw away society eliminated them, but the throw away filters are so ugly. :D  Just my solution.

An electric pump would be different of course.

P.S. this is from a steamfitter...ain't no s*** in my pipes :D
Too dumb to know any better and too old to care.

jaybee

True that mechanical pumps traditionally didn't have filters ahead of them while electric pumps can be pretty intolerant of any crud.  I like those filters, who makes/sells them?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

32tom

Quote from: "jaybee"True that mechanical pumps traditionally didn't have filters ahead of them while electric pumps can be pretty intolerant of any crud.  I like those filters, who makes/sells them?
They are flea market items. I don't know if they are still making them. I think these are generic after markets replacements from the 40's-50's I'm a sucker for little old looking trinkets.
Too dumb to know any better and too old to care.

Dirk35

Those look just like a generic sediment bowl you get from the local tractor supply store. Clean em often.

Id think that with a high pressure fuel set-up (like most dual 4bbls would need), they'd be likely to let the sediment pass inthe carb though.

flt-blk

I use the translucent 3/8 inlet/outlet filters right out of the fitting from my tank before going to the hard line.  

The cheap Fram translucent filters allow you to see if there is some crud,
are easy to replace, and also cheap.  They just don't look good.
TZ
Philosophy of hot rods
The welder is the Yin and the Grinder is the Yang

58Apache

Yep! I meant mechanical fuel pump and not manual ....boy I can't imagine cranking a fuel pump manually ;)  I claim temporary insanity...

I like those glass bowl filters too. Just makes it so much easier to see what is going on. If I am not getting fuel pumped up to the carb I'd sure like to know it by looking easily at a glass fixture. On the other hand....is that some sort of rubber seal on the bottom of those bowls ....and what happens if it leaks?

In any case, some of you guys mentioned an AC fuel filter with a particular number after it.

Why do you like about them? why are they the best? what is that number?

Steve